LAS VEGAS — For our team in Las Vegas, it already feels like CES has lasted several weeks (or perhaps several dozen). But Thursday was actually the first official day of the conference, and marked the opening of the event’s giant show floor.
In today’s dispatch, reporter Monica Nicklesburg reviews the highlights from her day exploring the show floor, including some immersive Samsung VR demos and appliances that might be too smart for their own good.
We also hear from GeekWire sports tech reporter Taylor Soper about his interviews with former NBA superstars Shaquille O’Neal, Charles Barkley and Kenny “The Jet” Smith, who have mixed opinions on sports tech topics like analytics, e-sports, and the place of social media.
Watch our day 3 highlights video above, and continue reading for headlines and links to stories from our third day of reporting at CES. Also check out all of our coverage of the event here.
- Live blog: CES show floor up and running! GeekWire takes in the weird and wonderful
- Live Blog: T-Mobile introduces ‘KickBack’ data refund, vows to include taxes and fees in rates
- Video: Former NBA stars Shaq, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith talk tech, politics, hoops at CES
- Media titan Barry Diller discusses fake news, the ‘nasty consequences’ of everyone being a publisher
- Amazon Alexa VP throws subtle shade at Google Home exec over Echo’s lead
- NBA Commissioner Adam Silver predicts how we’ll watch basketball in 5 years
- ‘I just have to pinch myself’: The Linux Foundation is still adjusting to AT&T’s embrace of open source
- Spotted at CES: Amazon’s funky Treasure Truck makes trek from Seattle to bring deals to Vegas