162 minutes — that’s how much time the average American spends on his or her mobile device per day.

That’s one tidbit of information from a study conducted by mobile measurement and advertising platform Flurry. The report, using data from January 2014 to March 2014, notes that time spent on iOS and Android mobile devices has increased by four minutes per day from this time last year to two hours and 42 minutes. A majority (86 percent) of that time is spent using apps, with the other 14 percent coming from internet browsers — a six percent decrease from last year.

windowsphone-apps-5“The data tells a clear story that apps, which were considered a mere fad a few years ago, are completely dominating mobile, and the browser has become a single application swimming in a sea of apps,” Flurry notes.

Like last year, gaming apps continue to lead the way in terms of consumption time, with social and messaging applications — including Facebook — in second place, increasing their share from 24 percent to 28 percent.

Facebook (including Instagram) saw its share dip just slightly from last year to 17 percent. Though Facebook’s share dropped a bit, Flurry said that the acquisition of WhatsApp will increase that number.

Flurry also found productivity apps double their share of consumption from two percent to four percent, and that out of all “entertainment apps,” Google-owned YouTube is responsible for 50 percent of the consumption.

But despite Facebook and Google’s apparent dominance in the mobile space, Flurry said that the market is still fragmented.

“In short, six years into the mobile revolution, there are numerous opportunities for new franchises to emerge in almost every segment of the mobile economy,” it noted.

See the full report here.

Like what you're reading? Subscribe to GeekWire's free newsletters to catch every headline


  • James Temple

    Would be interested to
    see that broken out based on mobile platform – iOS, Windows Phone, Android, etc..

  • ankur

    Apps are becoming indispensable for virtually any kind of business, http://bit.do/contactnow provides free technical consultation and development support having an idea is not enough!

Job Listings on GeekWork