Amazon surprised everyone Thursday morning when it announced it is looking to build a second headquarters in a city in North America. The news has big implications for Seattle, Amazon’s home, as well as cities around the country that are already lining up to woo the tech giant.
On this episode of the Week In Geek, we take a deep dive to analyze — and debate — the importance of the move, the message it sends to Seattle and where the tech giant will choose as it’s second home.
Listen to the show in the player above or download the MP3, and watch the behind-the-scenes Facebook Live video below. For more GeekWire Podcasts, subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, or wherever you listen.
Also check out these stories on Amazon’s second headquarters:
- Six cities Amazon should consider for its second headquarters
- From Philly to Tulsa, job-hungry cities line up to convince Amazon they’re the best spot for 2nd HQ
- Be careful what you wish for, Amazon suitors, a lot will change with the tech giant in your city
- ‘It’s never too late to say we’re sorry’: Seattle leaders respond to Amazon plans to establish second HQ outside its hometown
- Amazon will exceed 500K employee milestone with new HQ and Whole Foods acquisition
- Amazonians on the street react to prospect of a second HQ, discuss staying in Seattle and leaving
- Even as Amazon seeks a second HQ, rumors point to four big new Seattle office leases for tech giant
- Amazon’s second HQ: Why U.S. immigration policy makes Canada a frontrunner