The geekiest holiday party is just around the corner. We’ve got a huge crowd coming out for the sold out GeekWire Gala this Wednesday, Dec. 6 at the Museum of History & Industry in Seattle’s South Lake Union Neighborhood.
This is one of our favorite events of the year, bringing together 1,000 attendees to celebrate The Seattle 10 startup companies, mingle with old and new friends and dance the night away. Here are the key details you’ll need to know for the festivities on Wednesday night.
Where: The Museum of History & Industry, 860 Terry Ave N. in Seattle’s South Lake Union neighborhood. Map here.
When: Wednesday, December 6th, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Parking and transportation: We’re expecting a big crowd for the Gala, so make sure to give yourself plenty of time to park and check in. We also recommend those coming from downtown ride the South Lake Union Streetcar Line, which passes directly in front of the museum. Or hop in a taxi or ride-share.
If you must drive, the main parking lot is located just northwest of the museum off Westlake about a 10-minute walk from the museum: AGC Bldg. Parking (Republic Parking, located by McCormick & Schmick’s) 1200 Westlake Ave N.). Note: The weather report looks dry for Wednesday night, but even still we are going to have a few pedicabs transporting guests between the AGC parking lot and MOHAI from 5:45 pm to 7:15 pm.
Food and drink? Yes and yes. From coffee to beer to signature cocktails. The appetizers will be heavy, but it’s not dinner. No assigned tables, just tasty buffets and awesome conversation all evening.
Museum: Exhibits to the museum will be open, so if you’ve not yet checked out MOHAI or the Bezos Center for Innovation, this is your chance. Make sure to check out the new Seattle on the Spot photography exhibit on the second floor. Note: Food and drink are not permitted in the upstairs exhibit areas.
Do I need to bring my printed tickets for the Gala? Nope, just show up at the north entrance of MOHAI and our registration staff will take care of you.
Does my ticket include a plus one? No, each individual must have a ticket to enter the Gala.
Are tickets still available? Unfortunately, no the GeekWire Gala is officially sold out. Make sure to book tickets for upcoming GeekWire events here.
Attire: You have the rare license to don cocktail attire, or whatever you want for that matter. Tuxedos? Sure. Geeky T-shirts? Yep. Or, just get in the spirit and come dressed as Frosty, one of Santa’s little elves or your favorite Star Wars character from the ice planet Hoth. The photo booth, presented by Moz, will offer plenty of opportunities to showcase your sweet duds.
The Seattle 10: We’re excited to partner with MOHAI to recognize The Seattle 10 — a list of 10 up-and-coming Seattle area startups who are looking to change the world. Each of these innovative companies — chosen through a judging panel — sketched their business concepts on giant six-foot by six-foot cocktail napkins, and those napkins will make their public debut at the Gala on Wednesday. Look for them throughout the museum.
Other activities taking place at the Gala:
- Alaska Airlines will be giving away two roundtrip tickets to a lucky Gala attendee. Enter the giveaway upon arrival to the Gala, while sipping a specialty Aviator cocktail.
- All MOHAI exhibits will be open, including the new Al Smith photography exhibit Seattle on the Spot.
- Two lucky geeks will arrive at the Gala in fashionable style as part of the first-ever Geek Style Reboot, presented by Nordstrom. See their reboot first-hand as they come on stage around 7:15 p.m.
- KEXP DJ Troy Nelson will get the dance party moving from the Northeastern University DJ booth. Submit song requests to #NortheasternInSeattle.
- Visit the Luxury Living Lounge Sponsored by JayMarc, featuring a wine tasting by DeLille Cellars.
- Get a fun holiday portrait at the AMLI Arc caricature artist booth.
- Join the fun in the Moz photo booth.
- Stop by the ALLtech Health Benefits booth to discover which star-studded accessory best suits your personality: Are you an Alien, a Spaceship or an Astronaut?
Hashtags: #GWGala is the primary hashtag for the evening.
And, finally, a big thanks to our wonderful GeekWire Gala Sponsors without whom this holiday tradition would not be possible. They are: