— Women can get left behind or overlooked for their abilities to contribute to evolving technologies such as cloud computing. The Women in Cloud Summit aims to change that. Now in its third year, this year’s summit features speakers from cloud giants including Microsoft and Google, as well as entrepreneurs and venture capitalists. The summit takes place at the Microsoft Conference Center on Jan. 25.
— The biggest topic when it comes to technology this year is likely to be its impact on politics. Debates about the repercussions of hacking and the mass dissemination of misleading information are already in full swing. Town Hall Seattle will be continuing the discussion with a panel called Who Can We Trust? Technology’s Impact on Democracy. The panel features participants from all sides of the arguments including tech experts, lawyers, and communications professionals. The panel takes place Jan. 23 at 7:30 p.m. at The Great Hall.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Management Essentials for Developing People Leaders: A workshop for startups to learn how to foster employees in management roles at Galvanize in Seattle; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 16.
- Leadership Launchpad 2020: Reflect, Clarify + Connect: A workshop for leaders to assess the previous year and make strategies for the next at Impact Hub in Seattle; 1:30 to 4 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 16.
- From Startup to Enterprise: Keys to Scale with Design: A presentation aimed at helping startups with strategies for growth at the Columbia Tower Club in Seattle; 6 to 9 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 16.
- Fundamentals for Startups: What Founders and Early Stage Companies Need to Know About U.S. Immigration: A presentation about the recent challenges related to immigration and it affects the workforce at the University of Washington’s Fluke Hall in Seattle, 12 to 1 p.m., Friday, Jan. 17.
- 46th Model Railroad Show: A gathering of model railroad enthusiasts at The Pacific Science Center in Seattle; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 18.
- Delivery Conf 2020: A conference about the technology behind continuous integration and continuous delivery at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle; Tuesday, Jan. 21 and Wednesday, Jan. 22.
- Maritime Blue Innovation Accelerator Launch Event: An event to celebrate 11 maritime-focused startups at Pier 69 in Seattle; 5 to 7 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 21.
- Starting with the End in Mind: A presentation about exit strategies for startups at WeWork in Seattle; 6 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 21.
- Content Strategy for Startups Roundtable: A small group Q&A with a digital strategist veteran at Cambia Grove in Seattle; 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 22.
- New Tech’s Diversity Women in Tech: A networking event for women at Galvanize in Seattle; 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 22.
- Video Game Tap Takeover: A Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. tournament at Capitol Cider in Seattle; 7:30 to 10 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 22.