— Seattle Arts and Lectures is hosting a conversation with Kara Swisher on May 7. Known for her New York Times opinion column and as the editor of Recode, she was called “Silicon Valley’s most feared and well-liked journalist” by New York Magazine. In her column, Swisher has interviewed everyone from President Obama to Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg. In this lecture, Kara will speak to the state of big tech, accountability in the tech industry, and the role of social media in our current political landscape.
— Every year, GeekWire has a celebration to honor the best startups and tech companies in the Pacific Northwest region. The GeekWire Awards will take place May 2 at the Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle. Winners will be chosen in more than a dozen categories, from Startup of the Year to Next Tech Titan to Geek of the Year. Past winners of the awards include Tableau, Zulily, Tune, PopCap Games, OfferUp, Brown Paper Tickets, Avalara’s Scott McFarlane, University of Washington computer science professor Ed Lazowska and many more. Attendees will also have full access to all of the museum’s exhibits.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Crosscut Festival: A conference focused on issues including diversity and policy creation at Seattle University in Seattle; Friday, April May 3 – Saturday, May 4.
- Fundamentals for Startups: Recruiting 101: A presentation featuring tips for how to attract the best talent at CoMotion Labs at the University of Washington in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m. Friday, May 3.
- Partner Power Power: 6 Rules of Visual Design: A presentation about how to achieve good visual design on websites and in apps at Code Fellows in Seattle; 12:15 to 1 p.m. Friday, May 3.
- Free Comic Book Day: A chance to pick up a free comic book from a number of titles at Outsider Comics in Seattle; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, May 4.
- Indie Game Festival: An event showcasing independent games from the Seattle area at the Seattle Center Armory; 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 4.
- Star Wars Day: A celebration of Star Wars and the opportunity to demo new board games based on the franchise at Mox Boarding House in Bellevue; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 4.
- Our Watery World: UW Aquatic Science Open House: A family-friendly event where attendees can learn about oceanography and participate in hands-on activities at the FSH building in the University of Washington in Seattle; 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 4.
- Ignite 2019 Seattle Spring Gala: An fundraising event benefiting organizations that help teach young girls to enter into careers in the technology space at Showbox SoDo in Seattle; 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday, May 4.