Is Amazon good for Seattle? That’s the question a community forum asked this week, with civic leaders arguing both sides. The audience was split, to say the least, and the results point to the complex relationship Amazon has with the communities around it.
Plus, Uber and Lyft are the latest tech companies to dive into healthcare, integrating with hospital systems to help patients get to and from doctors appointments. And — did you just hear something? Users reported Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant laughing out of the blue this week, and they didn’t find it particularly funny.
Those are our topics on GeekWire’s Week in Geek podcast. Listen above or download the MP3.
This week’s stories:
- ‘Is Amazon good for Seattle?’ Debate sways a divided crowd in tech giant’s hometown
- Uber Health launches with tools to help patients get to medical appointments
- Lyft announces partnership with Allscripts to help patients get to doctors appointments
- Machine learning or laughing? Amazon’s Alexa is freaking people out with unprovoked chuckle
- Mystery solved? Amazon explains what cracked up Alexa, and what they’re going to do about it