When the card game “Exploding Kittens” hit Kickstarter a month ago, it was gaining funding at a clip that was almost impossible to believe. The game “for people who are into kittens and explosions and laser beams and sometimes goats,” was ticking up backers and dollars right before our very eyes at a pace we’ve never witnessed before.
Well, now it’s official. “Exploding Kittens,” designed by former Xbox chief design officer Elan Lee, The Oatmeal‘s Matthew Inman and Xbox/Marvel game designer Shane Small, is officially the most-backed project in Kickstarter history.
The news via Kickstarter’s blog:
“With 219,382 backers, it became the most-backed Kickstarter project of all time! It more than doubled the previous record of 105,857, held by Reading Rainbow since last summer. Wondering what the backings leaderboard looks like?”
The game raked in $8,782,571, also making it the most-funded game on Kickstarter ever, and the third most-funded project overall.
The trio, Lee, Inman and Small, issued this statement of thanks to their backers:
“We’ve never seen anything like you guys, and neither has the planet. You have proven beyond any doubt that you are unstoppable. There’s nothing we can put in front of you that you can’t do. There is nothing too great, nothing too hard, nothing too outrageous that you incredible group of incredible people can’t accomplish as a community.”
According to Kickstarter, here are the “Most-Backed Kickstarter Projects of All Time”:
1. Exploding Kittens – 219,382 backers
2. Bring Reading Rainbow Back for Every Child, Everywhere! – 105,857 backers
3. The Veronica Mars Movie Project – 91,585 backers
4. Double Fine Adventure – 87,142 backers
5. Torment: Tides of Numenera – 74,405 backers
6. Project Eternity – 73,986 backers
7. Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android – 68,929 backers
8. Mighty No. 9 – 67,226 backers
9. OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console – 63,416 backers
10. COOLEST COOLER: 21st Century Cooler that’s Actually Cooler – 62,642 backers
11. Wasteland 2 – 61,290 backers
Here’s another look at the game: