A machine that repurposes plastic byproducts. A platform that lets you earn rewards and gift cards by using less energy at home. An app that lists plant-based recipes.
These are just a few of the groups that competed at this weekend’s Startup Weekend event in Seattle, one of the first worldwide to focus on clean tech and making the world a more environmentally friendly place.
Winning first place was Canairy, a company looking to spread awareness of toxic air quality by crowdsourcing real-time data. The idea is to gather enough information about location-specific air quality with a device that measures toxic air pollution, analyze that data and then help people make decisions about their health.
Bring Your Plate, an online community for people with dietary restrictions to organize potluck events, won “Best Technical Execution.” Eneract, which lets you earn rewards, credit toward your energy bill and donations to your favorite causes for conserving energy at home, won “Best Design.” Meanwhile, RiDAR, a community sourced ride-share network, won the award for “Greenest.”
The next Startup Weekend event in Seattle will take place March 21 and is geared toward design. Below is a rundown of the other participating teams this weekend:
- ReCYCLOPS: The Seattle-based company buys plastic bottles from people and converts them into printable filament for 3D printers, which are then sold at below-market costs.
- Recipeas: Plant-based recipes.
- Bikealot.co: An online event management platform for bicycle clubs aimed at helping bicycle clubs get more butts on bikes for fewer bucks.
- Watt Swap: A service to find power charging stations for electric vehicles. This service ensures quality and availability of the power stations it recommends.
- Ecometrix.co: An app that determines how “green” an individual is, allowing them to compete with not only their friends, and community, but with others across the country. Questions are asked in a fun and engaging way to create a profile, guiding one to a lower carbon footprint. Earn points and earn rebates in sustainable products.
- WaterNation: WaterNation aims to provide resources and support to inspired and select individuals from communities around the world to enable them to create change in their local water systems.
- Twitch Is Pacman: A massively two player online Pacman game where many people control the movement of the same character (Pacman or his foe, Blinky). This game will also be a six day campaign to support BestFriends.org, the world renouned animal welfare organization. You can donate to Pacman, which will support their Dog programs, or you can donate to Blinky, which will support their Cat programs.