What backlash? Google extends lead over Microsoft, Yahoo

Google’s share of the U.S. search market climbed to its highest point in more than a year in January, surpassing 66 percent and extending the company’s lead over Microsoft and Yahoo, according to numbers released this afternoon by comScore Networks.

The increase came despite a negative reaction from some corners of the technology world to Google’s “Search Plus Your World” initiative, which added data from social networks to search results, focusing heavily on its own Google+ social network. Critics of the changes said they diminished the quality of Google’s search results.

Also during the month, Google announced plans to unify its privacy policies and collect data about users across its various online properties, prompting some users to say they were considering canceling their Google accounts.

Nonetheless, Google rose 0.3 percentage points to 66.2 percent of the U.S. market in January, according to the comScore statistics.

Microsoft’s Bing search engine, which had previously passed its partner Yahoo in market share, rose by 0.1 points to 15.2 percent in January, and Yahoo fell 0.4 points to 14.1 percent. Combined, Microsoft and Yahoo saw their market share fall to 29.3 percent, down 0.3 points.

Previously: How the Microsoft search deal is reshaping Yahoo’s business, for better or worse

  • Anonymous

    So what if Google extends lead? I’m not using that evil brand.

    • http://techmansworld.blogspot.com/ MHazell

      I use it for blogger. 

    • Guest

      So what? MS has lost about $8 billion so far trying to compete against Google in search. And so far Google has actually gained share, not lost it.

    • Guest

      So what? MS has lost about $8 billion so far trying to compete against Google in search. And so far Google has actually gained share, not lost it.

  • http://www.destination360.com Destination360 Travel Guides

    They own search and doubt that will change.

    • http://techmansworld.blogspot.com/ MHazell

      But that could change, but I already know that people are so used to Google that most don’t like Bing, or never even heard of it.

      • Guest

        It could. But if there is a change it’s more likely to come from a disrupter (e.g. Facebook) versus a clone (Bing).

        • http://techmansworld.blogspot.com/ MHazell

          Bing is not a clone. It is an upgrade from Microsoft’s previous search engine, Live Search. I don’t know whey they changed it. It was perfectly fine for me.

          • Guest

            For all effective purposes it’s a clone. For most people they’re interchangeable, only with Bing coming up short. There are very few things that Bing offers which Google can’t do, and many that Google can do that Bing can’t (like site-wide date search). MS is even now talking about dropping the “decision engine” marketing and going back to general search. Again, you can’t beat a dominant leader with a clone, unless you compete on price. And the latter doesn’t work in this case since it’s free to the user and the scale economics are all in Google’s favor. Facebook on the other hand has a walled garden and unique value add in its social grid. Which is why Google is putting most of its efforts into G+, not their Bing compete strategy.

          • http://techmansworld.blogspot.com/ MHazell

            I would still say Bing is not a clone. It it was a clone, there would be one big lawsuit. It is just another search engine, and prefer it over Google. I do give some credit to Google, though, because I use them to power my blog, which uses Google search. I do have Bing translator installed on it, though.

          • Guest

            Semantics. Clone, copy, or just too similar to represent any serious threat or disruption. Your choice.

  • Guest

    ” I love our strategy. The board loves our strategy”

    Steve Ballmer.