The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is looking for an experienced software engineer to help drive world class engineering and product development on Semantic Scholar, a fast-growing search engine and research tool powered by artificial intelligence. As a senior software engineer you will help identify, design and develop critical features and services that drive Semantic Scholar forward as a leader in academic search. World class communication, engineering, and leadership skills are essential in this role. As a technical leader, you will partner in scaling a consumer product, identifying and alleviating engineering bottlenecks, driving feature development on key initiatives, and establishing best practices, .
- Support and iterate upon the entire software development lifecycle; starting with ideation and design through deployment and operational support at scale.
- Scale our systems in a cost effective and sustainable manner and be a driving force behind continuous improvements in reliability and automation.
- Generate impact and team velocity through efforts in but not limited to: software design and feature development, platform and framework development, capacity planning, and deployment tooling and infrastructure.
- Help set and maintain best practices in how we measure, monitor, and respond to system availability, latency, and general application health.
- Mentor engineers on the team in both technical and non-technical skills.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field where software development is a key component, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience in algorithm design, data structures, complexity and risk analysis, and software architecture.
- Experience designing, scaling and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems and/or consumer web applications.
- Experience with AWS (or similar) standard deployment frameworks and services.
- Experience leading the definition and implementation of user facing features.
- Heightened sense of ownership for the performance and stability of services that provide value to millions of users.
- Ability to think systematically about improving the process of developing and supporting software and the skills to translate these concerns into outcomes for our users and team.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
About The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2)
In addition to AI2’s core mission of being a leader in the field of AI research, we also aim to create a superb team environment and to invest in each team member’s personal development. Some highlights are:
• We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
• We value diversity of thought – we seek Research Scientists who can bring novel experiences and modes of problem solving to our leading-edge mission. If you are creative and efficient in your approach and insightful in your questioning, AI2 could be a great environment for you;
• We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
• We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
• We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, we have the defending Super Bowl champions, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
• We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 50+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!