— As the 2020 presidential election approaches, many are concerned about the effects disinformation campaigns may have on the race, since they played a big part in the 2016 election. Samuel Woolley, a researcher at the University of Texas, has a new book out called The Reality Game: How the Next Wave of Technology Will Break the Truth. It’s about how new technological advances have the potential to make things even worse, but also could be used for good. Woolley will be talking about this topic and others he covers in his book at The Forum at Town Hall on Jan. 9.
— When we think of visual art, it’s paintings, sculptures and other traditional pieces that might come to mind. But some of the most interesting images can be found in unusual places — like inside the human body. As part of the Capitol Hill Art Walk, the Goethe Institute will be showcasing the Max Planck Society’s Images of Science, a collection of pictures from a variety of scientific fields that have a visual appeal much like abstract art. The opening for this exhibit takes place at the Goethe Institute on Jan. 9.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Negotiating Your Future: A workshop designed for honing your business negotiating skills at The Riveter in Seattle; 1 to 4 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 9.
- OrcaCon 2020: A tabletop board game convention at the Hilton Bellevue in Bellevue; Friday, Jan. 10 through Sunday, Jan. 12.
- Fundamentals for Startups: Artificial Intelligence: Industry Learnings from China and the U.S.: A presentation about how AI is shaping business both here and overseas at CoMotion Labs at the University of Washington in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m., Friday, Jan. 10.
- Hacky New Year: A hackathon featuring community-driven programs at Microsoft Building 20 in Redmond, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 11.
- Winter Seminar Series at Historic Flight: Korean Air War: A presentation about naval operations during the Korean War at The Historic Flight Foundation in Mukilteo; 12 to 1:30 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 11.
- When to Hire a Lawyer for Your Business: A presentation about advice on legal issues for startups at the Seattle Public Library Central Branch in Seattle; 4 to 5 p.m., Monday, Jan. 13.
- Founders Live PDX: An event where five startups pitch their companies in 99 seconds at Graybox in Portland, OR; 6 to 9 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 14.
- U.S. China Series with Microsoft President Brad Smith: A conference about business in China and the U.S. at The W Hotel in Seattle; 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 15.
- 2020 Foresight Strategy Planning: A workshop to help business owners plan their strategies for the next year at Impact Hub in Seattle; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 15.
- The Future is Firebrand: A presentation about the challenges facing women in business and how to address them at Galvanize in Seattle; 5 to 7 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 15.