— You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone in tech who doesn’t know about Visual Studio — and most of them probably use it. Now, with the launch of Visual Studio Code, the platform is more popular than ever. Keeping up with all the advancements and uses for the technology can be hard to do, but that’s what Visual Studio Live is for. The conference offers developers an opportunity to get caught up on what’s new, learn tips, and network with other developers. This year’s conference takes place the week of Aug. 12 at Microsoft’s headquarters in Redmond, Wash.
— In celebration of the 38th anniversary of the release of the first personal computer, the Living Computers Museum + Labs is holding IBM PC weekend on Aug. 10-11. The museum’s PC collection will be front and center, along with other pieces from IBM’s history.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- 2nd Annual Tech Diversity Summit: A half-day event discussing the advances of diversity in tech at Amazon’s Amelia Building in Seattle; 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 8.
- Business Owners Support Group: A structured networking event for business owners at Serial in Bellevue; 5 to 8 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 8.
- Robot Smart City: A workshop for kids about urban planning using robots at the Living Computers + Labs in Seattle; 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 10.
- Seattle Marauder’s Scavenger Hunt: A fantasy-themed scavenger hunt around the city beginning at Magnuson Park’s Hangar 30 in Seattle; 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 10.
- Meet a Scientist: An event where local scientists give workshops about their fields at The Pacific Science Center in Seattle; 1 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 10 and Tuesday, Aug. 13.
- The Empire Strikes Back in the Park: A performance of The Empire Strikes Back at Dr. Blanche Lavizzo Park in Seattle; 5 to 7 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 10 and Sunday, Aug. 11.
- Intro to 3D Printing: A workshop where participants use TinkerCAD to design and print 3D creations at the Living Computers + Labs in Seattle; 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Thursday, Aug 15.