— The newest consumer electronic devices feature the latest technologies, but unfortunately the same can’t always be said about the tech emergency services use on a daily basis. The Tech to Protect Challenge is a national contest that tasks participants with developing new technologies to help police, firefighters and first responders keep communities safe. Contestants could win up to $10,000 for their creation. The event takes place Nov. 1-3 at the Amazon Web Services Doppler Building.
— Rarely does a month go by without news of a data breach at a large company. In fact, we hear about it so much, it’s become commonplace. But these issues still have large consequences for the businesses who are attacked. The Evolution of Cybersecurity: Hackers Are Getting In. Now What? is a panel about the current landscape of cybersecurity and strategies businesses can implement to help them prevent a large scale data breach. The panel takes place at The World Trade Center Seattle on Nov. 5.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Fundamentals for Startups Friday: A Closeup View of Venture Capital in the PNW: A presentation about the current landscape of venture capital at CoMotion Labs at The University of Washington in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m., Friday, Nov. 1.
- Beyond Bollywood: Indian Americans Shape the Nation: The grand opening of an exhibit documenting the contributions of Indian immigrants to the United States at MOHAI in Seattle; 6:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1.
- Workshop: Becoming a Winning Woman at Work: A full-day course where women can learn strategies to succeed in their careers at The Riveter in Seattle; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 2.
- NFT More Than Just For Gaming: A conference about Non Fungible Tokens at 7 Gate Ventures in Vancouver, B.C.; 5:30 to 8 p.m., Monday, Nov. 4.
- Tech & Wellness Part 1: Relationships: A presentation about ways to utilize and balance technology responsibly at The Collective in Seattle; 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Monday, Nov. 4.
- Social Impact and Technology: A panel addressing ways technology can be used for good at Jobscan in Seattle; 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 5.
- Cascadia Rail Summit: A three-day conference about the technology of high-speed rail in the Pacific Northwest at Microsoft in Redmond; Wednesday, Nov. 6 to Friday, Nov. 8.
- Adding Bitcoin to Your Business Plan: A presentation about ways to use blockchain in small business at WeWork Labs in Seattle; 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 6.