— It seems video games get more sophisticated each year. Things like 4K and 60 frames per second are common and even expected in some cases. Next week, the latest and greatest in video games will be revealed at E3 in Los Angeles, but it’s nice to slow down and remember games how they used to be. I can remember putting my quarter down to get the next turn on Ms. Pac-Man or settling down with my cousin’s Atari 2600 to play some Space Invaders. The Seattle Retro Gaming Expo aims to let attendees do just that. The show, which takes place June 15 and 16, features competitions, panels, a free-play area and an expo floor where old-school gaming fans might be able to get their hands on a hard-to-find classic game.
— Seattle is a very different city than it was 10 years ago. The influences of companies such as Amazon have made the city one of the biggest hubs for technology and innovation. These influences trickle down into every aspect of the city, spurring many to incorporate technology into their businesses where they might not have previously. Some of the leaders of the biggest companies will sit down for a panel discussing the future of the city during Creativity, Community, and the Cloud, which takes place on June 18.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Margaret O’Mara – The Code: Silicon Valley and the Remaking of America: Author O’Mara will read excerpts from her book and take questions at the University Book Store in Seattle; 6 to 8 p.m., Saturday, June 15
- Father’s Day at Mox: A family-friendly event with games, crafts, and food at Mox Boarding House in Bellevue; Sunday, June 16.
- Father’s Day at The Aquarium: A full-day event featuring talks, hands-on activities and special treats for dads at The Seattle Aquarium in Seattle; Sunday, June 16.
- Light Up Cards with Paper Circuits: Create special greeting cards with paper circuits at The Living Computers Museum + Labs in Seattle; 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., Sunday, June 16.
- Construction and Real Estate Tech Connect: An event featuring talks and demos from companies in the real estate tech space at ICS – MTWO Communal Building in Redmond; 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, June 20.
- 2019 Seattle Sounders Sports Science Seminar: A conference about the latest scientific applications in sports at The Ninety in Seattle; Saturday, June 22 to Sunday, June 23.
- Orca Awareness Celebration: Featuring talks and activities about Orcas at the Seattle Aquarium in Seattle; 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, June 22