— The Apollo Program and moon landing is a historic event captured in a variety of media. Movies, television, and books have all told the story of the 12 men who flew to the moon. But now the moon landing is making its mark in another medium: the stage musical. Stephen Edwards’ Moon Landing The Musical will be performed at the Museum of Flight in Seattle on July 13. The musical tells the story through the astronauts’ eyes and deals with the human stories behind the Apollo mission, including the personal struggles of leaving family members behind.
— In another celebration of the mission to the moon, the Living Computers Museum + Labs is hosting Space Weekend on July 13-14. This family-friendly event includes the chance to see the museum’s brand new Apollo exhibit, play some space-related games, and a look at some of the supercomputers that played a role in the Apollo program.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Intro to Raspberry Pi: A workshop where you can learn the basics of programming for Raspberry Pi at the Living Computers Museum + Labs in Seattle; 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Thursday, July 11
- Seattle Girl Geek Dinner: A panel focused on women in tech at The Ninety in Seattle; 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Thursday, July 11.
- Cardboard Computers: A workshop where you can learn about the innards of a computer through a cardboard craft at the Living Computers Museum + Labs in Seattle; 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Saturday, July 13
- Break Into Software Engineering – Startups vs. Large Companies: A panel discussing the pros and cons of starting a career at a startup versus a large company at Galvanize in Seattle; 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Monday, July 15.
- Rocket Launch Day: A chance to build and launch rockets at The Pacific Science Center in Seattle; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday, July 16.
- We Chose to Go to the Moon: 50 Years On: TIME magazine photographer David Burnett will be presenting the photos he took of the Apollo 10 and 11 missions at The Museum of Flight in Seattle; 2 to 3 p.m., Tuesday, July 16.
- The Future of AI in Healthcare: A full-day event discussing advances in AI in a healthcare setting at Block 41 in Seattle; 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Thursday, July 18.