— Do you ever get so frustrated with your smartphone that you want to chuck it out the window, but realize how disconnected you would be to the rest of the world without it? Believe it or not, there are still non-digital ways to get by. This is the subject of Swipeless in Seattle: How to Live Without a Smartphone, which takes place at Galvanize on Dec. 5. The presentation will cover how to navigate without GPS and how to communicate with colleagues and friends offline.
— While some may be trying to cut down on their technology dependence, others are embracing it. Filmmakers, visual artists, performers, and musicians are taking a look at the emerging technologies that can affect their art. Futures: Trends in Science and Technology and Their Implications for Art and Performance will feature talks about topics including machine learning, computational photography and virtual reality. The event takes place at the Northwest Film Forum on Dec. 8.
— The GeekWire Gala is coming up on Thursday, Dec. 5, in downtown Seattle at Showbox at the Market. Known as the city’s “geekiest holiday party,” the Gala brings together more than 800 geeks to celebrate the season in style with tasty treats, festive cocktails, and great music in the heart of Seattle. There will also be a chance to win round-trip tickets to anywhere Alaska Airlines flies given to the “Ugly Sweater” contest winner. Tickets are available here.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Friday Game Nights: An informal event to meet people and play board games at Blue Highway Games in Seattle; 7 to 9:30 p.m., Friday, Dec. 6.
- Drop-In Business Coaching with Washington Women’s Business Center: A chance to meet experts in entrepreneurship, marketing, and sales at The Riveter in Bellevue; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 10.
- Civics Luncheon: 2019 in Review: An event where local leaders reflect on the changes that took place in the region during the past year at The Crowne Plaza Downtown in Seattle; 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 10.
- Own the Stage: Public Speaking Intensive: A workshop aimed at helping people hone their public speaking skills at The Riveter in Seattle; 3 to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 11.
- Securing Our Connected World: A panel discussing the security challenges that will arise with 5G and IoT devices at Create33 in Seattle; 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 11.