— If you get bored shopping in the stores with everyone else on Thanksgiving weekend or have trouble finding a gift for a geeky family member — or even for yourself — you may want to check out the GeekCraft Expo Seattle 2019, which takes place Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at Hangar 30 at Magnuson Park. Besides the chance to shop for unique gifts, the expo also has crafting stations for kids.
— In his book Black Software: The Internet and Racial Justice, from the AfroNet to Black Lives Matter, Charlton D. McIlwain documents African Americans’ role with the creation of the internet and using digital technology for racial justice. McIlwain will be talking about his book at The Forum at Town Hall on Dec. 2.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Saga of Skywalker: A Star Wars Themed Variety Show: An event featuring live performances of many types based on the Star Wars universe at the Columbia City Theater in Seattle; 8 to 10:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 30.
- Alliance of Angels Pitch Clinic: A workshop for startups to perfect their fundraising pitches at Create 33 in Seattle; 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday, Dec. 2.
- Hitting Home: Climate Change Impacts in PNW: A panel discussing the local impacts of climate change at the Flying Bike Cooperative Brewery in Seattle; 7 to 8:30 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 3.
- Can We Talk? Intersectionality: A panel about the effects of discrimination in multiple formats at the World Trade Center in Seattle; 7:30 to 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Dec. 4.
- Alliance of Angels Workshop: What’s Up with That Deck: A workshop about creating the perfect pitch deck at K & L Gates in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 4.
- Executive Speaker Series: Life Sciences: A talk about the growth of life sciences professions in Seattle at the Microsoft Event Center at the Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce in Seattle; 12 to 1:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 4.