— August plays host to a number of gaming-related events in the Seattle area, with the first ones happening next weekend. On Aug. 17 and 18, the Pacific Science Center’s Curiosity Expo is focused on games, both digital and physical. The weekend will be filled with presentations on the thought process behind designing games, as well as the science that goes with it. Some of the attending organizations include The Academy of Interactive Entertainment, the Child’s Play Charity, the Interactive Museum of Gaming and Puzzlery, and the University of Washington Center for Game Science, along with lots of local independent game developers who will be showing off their games. The Expo is included with regular admission to the museum.
— Across Lake Washington in Bellevue, Dragonflight GameCon will focus on games of the non-digital type. Tabletop role-playing games, card games, indie board games, miniatures, and tournaments around those games, as well as live-action role-playing (LARPing) will all be happening at the Bellevue Hilton on Aug. 16-18.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Life Science Washington Summer Social: A New Orleans-themed party put on by Life Science Washington at their location in Seattle; 4 to 7 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 15.
- Founders Live PDX: Five startups pitch their companies to the audience in 99 seconds at Cloudability in Portland; 6 to 9 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 15.
- PIE turns 10: Also in Portland the evening of Thursday, Aug. 15: the longtime startup hub will celebrate its 10th anniversary at the Glass Lab from 5 to 8 p.m.
- PacSci Happy Hour: Games: An after-hours event for those 21 and over to play games at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle; 6:30 to 10 p.m., Friday, Aug. 16.
- Live Podcast Show with D20 Dames: A live recording of a podcast focused on storytelling in Dungeons and Dragons at the Renton History Museum in Renton; 1 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 17.
- The Empire Strikes Back in the Park: A performance of The Empire Strikes Back at Dr. Blanche Lavizzo Park in Seattle; 5 to 7 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 17 and Sunday, Aug. 18.
- SharePoint Fest Seattle 2019: A conference about SharePoint, Office 365, and Azure at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle; Monday, Aug. 19 through Friday, Aug. 23
- Data at Hyper-Scale with Uber’s Phil Geurin: A keynote presentation about the challenges of analyzing massive amounts of data at the Flatiron School in Seattle; 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, Aug 20.
- Science in the City: Recompose: Innovation in Death Care: A presentation about the process of converting human remains into soil at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle; 7 to 9 p.m., Tuesday, Aug 20.