More than 60 years ago, the world got serious about exploring space. The global fascination with the great beyond led to a massive race between the United States and the Soviet Union to be the first to hit space travel milestones. In 1961, the Soviet Union became the first country to launch a person into space, and that person was Yuri Gagarin.
The Museum of Flight is celebrating the 58th anniversary of this momentous occasion with a party called Yuri’s Night on April 12. The event will feature space-themed music, dancing, virtual reality and other activities celebrating mankind’s first trip to outer space.
The Pacific Science Center will be celebrating history as well, but in the opposite direction from space. Taking place April 16, Mysteries of the Deep: Seattle’s Underwater Secrets is a presentation from global underwater explorers. These experts will share their adventures with the help of modern photogrammetry of some crashed planes, ships and other underwater artifacts that are resting at the bottom of the ocean around our area.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Fundamentals for Startups: Market Fit Fast: A talk about how to maximize your results in making sure your product fits into current market conditions at CoMotion Labs in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m. Friday, April 12.
- Partner Power Hour: Team Velocity in an Agile Work Environment: A talk about the history of agile technology, including Scrum, and how to use it to predict expectations at Code Fellows in Seattle; 12:15 to 1 p.m. Friday, April 12.
- Def Hacks Seattle 2019: A 24-hour hackathon aimed at students with a focus on FinTech at Microsoft in Redmond; Sunday, April 14 through Monday, April 15.
- Datadog Community Summit: A full-day event for those using Datadog technology at the Loews Hotel in Seattle; Tuesday, April 16.
- Flywheel Investment Conference: A full-day event bringing together angel investors, venture capitalists, and entrepreneurs at The Stanley Civic Center in Wenatchee; Thursday, April 18.
- 10th Annual Women’s Success Summit: An event focusing on helping women business owners excel in all aspects of their business at the Westin Bellevue; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, April 18.
- Japan Seattle AI Innovation Meetup: A place to meet with potential Japanese business partners at the Columbia Center in Seattle; 1 to 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18.