— Films based on characters from Marvel comics have dominated the box office for the first half of the year. Avengers: Endgame is even getting a re-release in the hopes of dethroning Avatar as the biggest movie of all time. ACE Comic Con, which takes place June 28 to June 30, will feature quite a few “Avengers.” Chris Evans, who portrayed Captain America, and Josh Brolin, who played Thanos, are just a couple of big-name stars coming to Seattle for the event. In addition to the celebrities, ACE Comic Con will have more than 60 comic book writers and artists, as well as other comics-related vendors and exhibitors.
— There’s also another comic book event next week. Four-Color Reality: How Comic Books and the Real World Shape Each Other will take place at the Renton History Museum on June 27. The talk is presented by T. Andrew Wahl, a comic book guru and Everett Community College professor, and will dive into comic book history and how historical events have played a part in the creation of comics.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Founders Live Seattle: An event where five startups are given 99 seconds to pitch their business at The Collective in Seattle; 6 to 9 p.m., Thursday, June 27
- Computer Trivia at PSL: A trivia night about the history of computers at Pioneer Square Labs in Seattle; 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday, June 27.
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back in Concert: A concert by the Seattle Symphony featuring music from the film at Benaroya Hall in Seattle; 7:30 p.m., Thursday, June 27, Friday, June 28 and Saturday, June 29.
- Innovation and Technology Law Conference: A conference that will feature a keynote from a blockchain specialist at The Seattle University School of Law in Seattle; Friday, June 28.
- Partner Power Hour: GAMACY.com: A presentation about how the company is releasing a next-generation video game database at Code Fellows in Seattle; 12:15 to 1 p.m., Friday, June 28.
- Seattle Blockchain Devcon Conference: A full-day event featuring blockchain speakers and exhibitors at The Global Innovation Exchange in Bellevue; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, June 29.
- Making Games with Micro.bit: A workshop about coding using microcontrollers at The Living Computers Museum + Labs in Seattle; 10:30 to 11:45 a.m., Saturday, June 29.