When Bill Murray wakes up in the 1993 comedy classic “Groundhog Day,” the only thing on his bedside table is that annoying alarm clock, which plays the Sonny and Cher hit “I Got You Babe” over and over and over. But what if there was an Amazon Echo?
Amazon announced Wednesday that Alexa, the voice-activated artificial intelligence in the Echo, Dot, Tap and other devices, is getting in on the fun surrounding Punxsutawney Phil with new commands tied to the holiday which falls on Feb. 2.
It’s hard to think of Groundhog Day and not picture Murray’s TV weatherman character reliving the same day again and again in that movie. Alexa is clearly a fan, and some of her new skills showcase that.
These are commands that went live on Wednesday:
- “Alexa, Happy Groundhog Day!”
- Alexa: “Thank you! It feels a lot like last Groundhog Day. Maybe I’m having deja vu.” (try a few more times for different responses)
- “Alexa, Give me a Groundhog Day movie quote.”
- “Alexa, Do you ever have deja vu?”
- “Alexa, Who is Punxsutawney Phil?”
- “Alexa, Will the groundhog see his shadow?”
Additional skills will go live on Groundhog Day:
- “Alexa, Good morning!”
- Alexa: Good morning! Rise and shine! And don’t forget your booties, because it’s cold out there today.”
- “Alexa, Did the groundhog see his shadow?”
No word on whether users can ask Alexa for the best way to avoid Ned Ryerson that morning.