Microsoft’s monthly Patch Tuesday update, issued today, delivers a series of fixes and updates for users of the company’s Surface RT tablet, including fixes to Wi-Fi reliability, improvements in the typing experience with the keyboard cover accessories, and trackpad improvements.
The firmware upgrades, noted earlier by ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley, are documented on this Microsoft Surface RT update history page. They are being delivered via the Windows Update mechanism on the tablets. Here’s a rundown of the updates, via Microsoft.
- Fixes to Wi-Fi reliability allowing for better roaming and improvements to “Limited” connectivity scenarios.
- Resolves issues with integrated volume button.
- Improved Type and Touch cover typing experience on soft surfaces and when devices and keyboard are lying flat.
- Resolves issue with random muting.
- Trackpad performance improvements.
It’s the third time that Microsoft has taken a crack at improving Wi-Fi connectivity in “limited” scenarios, according to the history page.
The broader Microsoft update also includes patches for Windows, Office, and other Microsoft programs, in addition to turning Flash support on by default in the Modern UI (formerly “Metro”) version of Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 and Windows RT.
Windows users can download and install the updates via Windows Update in the Control Panel (or “Change PC Settings” under the Settings charm on the Surface RT), or by activating automatic updating.