How many cows are in Canada? Photo via JelleS
Oh my, job interviewers will sometimes say the darndest things. And thanks to Glassdoor now we know what might be on top of their list next time you roll into the offices of Google, Amazon or Microsoft.
Glassdoor, which compiles salary reports and CEO reviews for companies, has now released a list of the top interview questions encountered by job candidates.
The top 25 list is below, including some doozies from Trader Joe’s, JetBlue and Forrester Research. But first I wanted to share some of the weirder interview questions from tech giants in our backyard, including Microsoft, Expedia and Amazon.
How would you answer these?
“How many diapers does America go through in one month?” – Asked at
Microsoft, Associate Product Manager candidate. More Microsoft interview questions.
“Why is a manhole cover round?” – Asked at
Microsoft, Product Unit Manager candidate. More Microsoft interview questions.
“How much of your day do you smile?” – Asked at
Amazon, Associate candidate. More Amazon interview questions.
“How many cows are in Canada?” – Asked at
Google, Local Data Quality Evaluator candidate. More Google interview questions.
“Will the company succeed? Why or why not?” – Asked at
Zillow, Business Team Director candidate. More Zillow interview questions.
“Given a 7 digit phone number, find out all the words that can be formed using this number based on the T9 keypad.” – Asked at
Expedia, Software Engineer In Test 1 candidate. More Expedia interview questions.
Meanwhile, here’s Glassdoor’s list of the top 25 oddball interview questions, a compilation from thousands of interview questions posted on the site.
Which of these states would you kick out of the union? (Photo via Kevin Hutchinson)
1. “If you were to get rid of one state in the US, which would it be and why?” – Asked at
Forrester Research, Research Associate candidate. More Forrester Research interview questions.
3. “How many quarters would you need to reach the height of the Empire State building?” – Asked at
JetBlue, Pricing/Revenue Management Analyst candidate. More JetBlue interview questions.
4. “A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?” – Asked at
Clark Construction Group, Office Engineer candidate. More Clark Construction Group interview questions.
7. “What do you think about when you are alone in your car?” – Asked at
Gallup, Associate Analyst candidate. More Gallup interview questions.
Know the Nobel prize winner on the left? You should if you want a job at Benefits Connect.
8. “How would you rate your memory?” – Asked at
Marriott, Front Desk Associate candidate. More Marriott interview questions.
9. “Name 3 previous Nobel Prize Winners.” – Asked at
BenefitsCONNECT, Office Manager candidate. More BenefitsCONNECT interview questions.
10. “Can you say: ’Peter Pepper Picked a Pickled Pepper’ and cross-sell a washing machine at the same time?” – Asked at
MasterCard, Call Centre candidate. More MasterCard interview questions.
11. “If we came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for us?” – Asked at
Trader Joe’s, Crew candidate. More Trader Joe’s interview questions.
12. “How would people communicate in a perfect world?” – Asked at
Novell, Software Engineer candidate. More Novell interview questions.
13. “How do you make a tuna sandwich?” – Asked at
Astron Consulting, Office Manager candidate. More Astron Consulting interview questions.
14. “My wife and I are going on vacation, where would you recommend?” – Asked at
PricewaterhouseCoopers, Advisory Associate candidate. More PricewaterhouseCoopers interview questions.
15. “You are a head chef at a restaurant and your team has been selected to be on Iron Chef. How do you prepare your team for the competition and how do you leverage the competition for your restaurant?” – Asked at
Accenture, Business Analyst candidate. More Accenture interview questions.
16. “Estimate how many windows are in New York.” – Asked at
Bain & Company, Associate Consultant candidate. More Bain & Company interview questions.
17. “What’s your favorite song? Perform it for us now.” – Asked at
LivingSocial, Adventures City Manager candidate. More LivingSocial interview questions.
18. “Calculate the angle of two clock pointers when time is 11:50.” – Asked at
Bank of America, Software Developer candidate. More Bank of America interview questions.
Have you ever stolen a pen from work? (Photo via yoohoojuju)
19. “Have you ever stolen a pen from work?” – Asked at
Jiffy Software, Software Architect candidate. More Jiffy Software interview questions.
20. “Pick two celebrities to be your parents.” – Asked at
Urban Outfitters, Sales Associate candidate. More Urban Outfitters interview questions.
21. “What kitchen utensil would you be?” – Asked at
Bandwidth.com, Marketer candidate. More Bandwidth.com interview questions.
22. “If you had turned you cell phone to silent, and it rang really loudly despite it being on silent, what would you tell me?” – Asked at
Kimberly-Clark, Biomedical Engineer candidate. More Kimberly-Clark interview questions.
23. “On a scale from one to ten, rate me as an interviewer.” – Asked at
Kraft Foods, General Laborer candidate. More Kraft Foods interview questions.
24. “If you could be anyone else, who would it be?” – Asked at
Salesforce.com, Sales Representative candidate. More Salesforce.com interview questions.
25. “How would you direct someone else on how to cook an omelet?” – Asked at
PETCO, Analyst candidate. More PETCO interview questions.
Here’s how some random people on the street reacted to some of those questions.