Oh my, job interviewers will sometimes say the darndest things. And thanks to Glassdoor now we know what might be on top of their list next time you roll into the offices of Google, Amazon or Microsoft.
Glassdoor, which compiles salary reports and CEO reviews for companies, has now released a list of the top interview questions encountered by job candidates.
The top 25 list is below, including some doozies from Trader Joe’s, JetBlue and Forrester Research. But first I wanted to share some of the weirder interview questions from tech giants in our backyard, including Microsoft, Expedia and Amazon.
How would you answer these?
“Given a 7 digit phone number, find out all the words that can be formed using this number based on the T9 keypad.” – Asked at Expedia, Software Engineer In Test 1 candidate. More Expedia interview questions.
Meanwhile, here’s Glassdoor’s list of the top 25 oddball interview questions, a compilation from thousands of interview questions posted on the site.
3. “How many quarters would you need to reach the height of the Empire State building?” – Asked at JetBlue, Pricing/Revenue Management Analyst candidate. More JetBlue interview questions.
4. “A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?” – Asked at Clark Construction Group, Office Engineer candidate. More Clark Construction Group interview questions.
6. “Jeff Bezos walks into your office and says you can have a million dollars to launch your best entrepreneurial idea. What is it?” – Asked at Amazon, Product Development candidate. More Amazon interview questions.
14. “My wife and I are going on vacation, where would you recommend?” – Asked at PricewaterhouseCoopers, Advisory Associate candidate. More PricewaterhouseCoopers interview questions.
15. “You are a head chef at a restaurant and your team has been selected to be on Iron Chef. How do you prepare your team for the competition and how do you leverage the competition for your restaurant?” – Asked at Accenture, Business Analyst candidate. More Accenture interview questions.
22. “If you had turned you cell phone to silent, and it rang really loudly despite it being on silent, what would you tell me?” – Asked at Kimberly-Clark, Biomedical Engineer candidate. More Kimberly-Clark interview questions.
Here’s how some random people on the street reacted to some of those questions.