Tom Warren over at The Verge reports that multiple sources familiar with Microsoft say the company plans to release a TV set-top box based on Windows 8 in early 2013. The “Xbox TV” console will be a “lite” and cheaper version of the new Xbox, which is dubbed as Xbox 720 and also set for a 2013 release.
The Verge reports that “Xbox TV” will focus on streaming multimedia content. It will support casual gaming titles, but not “full Xbox games typically found on a dedicated console.” Similar competitors include Roku and Apple TV.
Previously on GeekWire: Live ESPN programming now available with Xbox WatchESPN app
Reach staff reporter Taylor Soper at email@example.com or on Twitter @Taylor_Soper
- key specs
- reviews • 106
- TypeAudio / video player
- Video servicesiTunes, Netflix, YouTube, Other
- Audio servicesiTunes
- Video codec supporth.264 / AVC, Motion JPEG, MPEG-4, Quicktime
- Audio codec supportAAC, MP3, WAV
- Video outputsHDMI (1 outputs)
- Audio outputsvia HDMI, TOSLINK (optical)
Microsoft Xbox 360