As we honor geeks who give back at next week’s GeekWire Gala, Dec. 8 at Seattle’s Union Station, it seems only fair that we give you plenty of chances to get on the “nice” list this holiday season. So here’s a list you should check twice before heading out to our one-of-a-kind bash:
1) Geek is chic. Whatever you’re wearing, do it with style, as we’ll have photo opp’s galore and a “best dressed” contest MC’d by some of the region’s most fashionable techies, and GQ’s “worst dressed in tech” Ben Huh. Thanks to swanky salons Capelli’s and Lake Union Hair and Skin Care for help with prizes.
2) Cocktails for a cause: Bring a soft toy to donate, as we’re topping off Jenni Hogan’s Toys for Tots mobile tweetup. Drop it off at registration and trade in that toy for an extra drink ticket, courtesy of Heinz Marketing.
3) Our friends at silver sponsor Facebook are living the “geeks who give back” dream, driving donations to Hopelink. Bring a canned food item to their station and get some sweet swag—including Facebook Seattle tee’s. And speaking of chic, this interactive station will enable you to pose for the camera and instantly upload your pic to your Facebook Timeline—a real-time memento of the evening!
It just wouldn’t be a signature GeekWire event without more in store, so here’s a sneak preview:
- Platinum sponsor Zillow will adorn the first 500 cocktails at the gala with our region’s de facto mascot: the umbrella. Take these colorful little bumbershoots to the Zillow HQ (by the stage) and redeem yours for a prize, perhaps a head-covering one. While you’re there, put your company on the map – literally! Throughout the evening we’ll create a heat-map of the region’s tech businesses, as you pin-point your company’s location on a giant street map of the Puget Sound. Good times, rain or shine.
- Gold sponsor King5 will video the affair and interview our guests…stay tuned as we’ll give you tips on how to prepare for your time on camera!
- A long time ago, in a GALAxy far, far away…gold sponsor Filter will celebrate National Star Wars day in style! Darth Vader and his Stormtroopers are offering a custom cocktail glass and a free drink ticket for the first 100 people to visit the Mos Eisley-inspired cantina, as well as a business card drawing for a chance to win a lightsaber replica prop. May the force be with you!
- Inspired by silver sponsor Startup Weekend , we’ll get you on your feet and cheering with a party-wide rock-scissors-paper battle. One winner will emerge victorious, and in addition to bragging rights, will go home with an iCade, courtesy of ThinkGeek. And to keep the adrenaline flowing, visit the folks at the Startup Weekend station for a one-on-one rock-scissors-paper shootout and a chance to win their new book.
We have more surprises up our sleeve, including a geeky give-away from silver sponsor thePlatform and antics from gold sponsor Bing, so stay tuned. We hope to see you there, and though it’s not too late to sign up, we expect tickets to be sold out in the next few days. And once they’re gone, they’re gone, so stay off the naughty list and register today.