— Working in video games is something lots of young (and not so young) people aspire to do. But it can be tough to get legitimate career advice. In hopes of giving attendees real and valuable information, Redmond, Wash.-based video game university DigiPen is hosting Kerry Davis, who has been working as a programmer at Valve for more than 15 years. Davis will talk about his unusual journey into the industry and share lessons learned from his time at Valve. The event is at DigiPen on Sept. 14.
— How can we get a good night’s sleep? It’s easy to find a wealth of information online, but there’s not much rooted in real science. Researchers from the University of Washington will be sharing their latest findings during News You Can Snooze: New Studies on Sleep. The presentation will cover in-depth information on how sleep actually works, as well as developing technologies that may be able to help. This event takes place at the Pacific Science Center on Set. 17.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- An Evening with the Magnix CEO: A presentation from the CEO of Magnix, a local company that makes electric planes at Atlas Workbase in Seattle; 5 to 7 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 12.
- PSL Engineering Event: Behind the Scenes with Portfolio Companies: An event where you can meet some of Pioneer Square Labs’ spinout companies at Impact Hub Seattle; 5 to 8 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 12.
- Real CIS: Cybercrime Investigations and Cybersecurity: A full-day conference about how individuals can protect themselves from digital threats at Edmonds Community College in Edmonds; 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 14.
- Can We Talk? Vulnerability: A panel about how vulnerability can be used for innovation at The World Trade Center in Seattle; 7:30 to 9:30 a.m., Tuesday, Sept. 17.
- New Tech Eastside: Womxn in Tech and Allies: A presentation about the challenges women face in tech and what can be done to help them at eBay in Bellevue; 5:30 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 17.
- Lunch and Learn: How Startups Can Build Brand Positioning: A workshop outlining concrete steps startups can take to correctly position their brands at WeWork Labs in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 18.
- GeekWire Sounders Day: A party with GeekWire at Qualtrics before going to watch the match, starting at 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 18.
- Hiring and Getting Hired in Blockchain: A panel of recruiters and hiring managers will address strategies for getting hired into blockchain jobs at WeWork Labs in Seattle; 5:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 18.