— Geeks (and some non-geeks as well) seem to have a never-ending fascination with space. That love of the great beyond has led to an interest by entrepreneurs looking to start a company in the space business. If you’re one of those people, but don’t quite know where to start, you may want to attend Techstars Startup Weekend Seattle: Space Edition. The event promises to help entrepreneurs “learn the fundamentals of forming a startup with a space focus.” It place Nov. 15-17 at the SURF Incubator in Seattle. And speaking of space…
— You may not be aware that only three lunar rovers ever actually went to the moon. You might also not be aware that they were created just south of Seattle at Boeing’s Space Center in Kent, Wash. The city of Kent is celebrating its hometown pride with a Lunar Rover STEM Festival at the ShoWare Center in Kent on Nov. 14. The event will feature a “landing” of a replica of a lunar rover and talks by retired astronauts and Boeing historians.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- TF4: Blockchain Conference: A conference featuring talks by leaders in the blockchain space at Triple Door in Seattle; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 14
- KNOW Identity Forum Seattle: Privacy and the Data Economy: A presentation about the latest issues about privacy at Blueprint Technologies in Bellevue; 5 to 9 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 14.
- Humanity in Tech: An event about building diversity in the tech industry at Galvanize in Seattle; 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 14.
- Innovations in Physical Retail and E-Commerce: A panel about the current trends in retail at the SURF Incubator in Seattle; 6:30 to 9 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 14.
- Spinnaker Summit 2019: A conference for Spinnaker users at The Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle; Friday, Nov. 15 through Sunday, Nov. 17.
- Dungeon Siege West: A festival for fantasy and tabletop game lovers at Highline in Seattle; Friday, Nov. 15 through Sunday, Nov. 17
- The Future of Immersive Technology in Healthcare: An event about uses of new technology in healthcare at The Collective in Seattle; 5 to 8:45 p.m., Friday, Nov. 15.
- Seattle Film Summit: An event about the art and business of filmmaking at The Hyatt Regency Lake Washington in Renton; Saturday, Nov. 16 and Sunday Nov. 17.
- Women in Tech Brunch: Leading Disruptive Innovation: A presentation about how women can lead startups in tech at The Collective in Seattle; 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 16.
- GeekGirlCon: A two-day convention highlighting females in geeky media and science at The Conference Center at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle; Saturday, Nov. 16 and Sunday, Nov. 17.
- Seattle Innovation Startup Competition: A pitch competition for tech startups at The Global Innovation Exchange in Seattle; 2 to 6 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 17.
- The Great Northwest Cloud Summit: Hyperscale, Colocation, Edge and Beyond: A three-day conference about the latest trends in cloud tech at the Columbia Tower Club in Seattle; Wednesday, Nov. 20 through Friday, Nov. 22.