Did you know Seattle Opera is getting ready to put on a show all about the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs? The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs opens Feb. 23. In advance of the Seattle premiere, GeekWire is teaming with Seattle Opera to host The Flawed Brilliance of Steve Jobs, a free panel discussion about the technology visionary on Feb. 7.
Moderated by GeekWire columnist and contributing writer Frank Catalano, the panel will consist of librettist Mark Campbell, director Kevin Newbury and baritone John Moore, who plays Jobs in the Seattle Opera production. The group will discuss the life of Jobs and how he’s been portrayed in popular culture and media, and share behind-the-scenes details on the making of the opera.
The panel will take place at 7:30 p.m. Thursday Feb. 7 in Tagney Jones Hall at the Opera Center (363 Mercer St., adjacent to McCaw Hall). More information available here.
Shopping online can make lots of people a little jittery. When we constantly hear about this or that company being hacked with thousands of customers’ information possibly stolen, we start to wonder why it happens and, possibly more importantly, how it happens. The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory aims to teach people about cybersecurity with the Pink Elephant Unicorn Cybersecurity Capture-The-Flag competition. This free event is open to the public and welcomes people of all skill and experience levels, even complete newbies. The event takes place Feb. 1 and 2 at Northwestern University in Seattle.
Here are some more highlights from the GeekWire Community Calendar:
- Founders Live Seattle: A competition where five startups pitch their companies in 99 seconds at The Collective in Seattle; 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday, January 31.
- Intro to Programming: A free four-hour workshop at Epicodus in Seattle; 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2.
- The Importance of IP/Patents for Entrepreneurs and Investors: A presentation about how to identify startups’ technology innovation at the K&L Gates in Seattle; 12 to 1 p.m. Monday, Feb. 4.
- Let’s Hack Seattle Real Estate: An event bringing together the tech community with the real estate community to explore collaboration at the University of Washington Education and Research in Construction in Seattle; 6 to 9 p.m Friday, Feb. 8.
- AoA Pitch Clinic: A presentation about how to effectively pitch to angel investors at Create 33 in Seattle; noon to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 11.
- Evaluation of VC Terms: A presentation about the pros and cons of indie vc terms at University of Washington Comotion Innovation Center in Seattle; 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 12.