It looks like Steve Ballmer is set to own the Los Angeles Clippers.
A judge today ruled against current Clippers owner Donald Sterling and paved the way for Ballmer’s record-breaking $2 billion purchase of the NBA team.
Sterling had argued that his wife, Shelly, did not have the rights to sell the Clippers to Ballmer after he was banned by the NBA following his racist comments that surfaced online in April.
But Judge Michael Levanas agreed that Shelly Sterling was allowed to work on a deal with Ballmer after doctors deemed that Donald Sterling was unable to properly conduct business negotiations.
Judge rules for Shelly Sterling and prevents Donald from appealing to keep team. Steve Ballmer will be next Clippers owner. Big win for NBA.
— Michael McCann (@McCannSportsLaw) July 28, 2014
Shelly walks out of the court with tears of joy in her eyes. "I'm just happy it's over."
— Dan Woike (@DanWoikeSports) July 28, 2014
Shelly Sterling says she's sure Donald will drop other suits and that he's happy "We have love for each other" pic.twitter.com/eYGiroFO39
— Ben Bergman (@thebenbergman) July 28, 2014
— Austin Hunt (@AustinHunt) July 28, 2014
The NBA’s board of governors still must approve the sale to Ballmer, but today’s ruling was a key step. The former Microsoft CEO, who is paying an exorbitant amount of money for the team, has said previously that he has no plans of moving the Clippers to Seattle — sorry, Sonics fans.