The PlayStation 4 once again outsold the Xbox One in the U.S., as Sony’s console took the sales crown for the eighth month in a row during August.
However, Xbox Ones sales are on the rise. Microsoft said today that it “nearly” doubled Xbox One sales from July thanks in part to strong demand for the Xbox One Madden NFL 15 bundle. This comes after Xbox One sales doubled from June to July after Microsoft began selling a $399 version of the Xbox One without the Kinect sensor on June 9 — a $100 price cut from the Xbox One with Kinect.
Meanwhile, Sony announced today that it “remains the cumulative leader for next generation game consoles” and that Madden NFL 15 for PS4 was the top-selling game in August. Sony also noted that it led Microsoft for combined home console sales (PS3 and PS4 vs. Xbox One and Xbox 360) for the third straight month.
The NPD Group reported today that U.S. gamers spent $561.3 million on hardware and software in August, up eight percent from one year ago. Hardware sales were up 116 percent, while software sales were down 22 percent from last year
NPD also noted that after 10 months on store shelves, combined PS4 and Xbox One sales are up 70 percent than where combined PS3 and Xbox 360 sales stood during the same time period. Finally, new launches in August 2014 declined 41 percent compared to new launches in August 2013.
Here are the top-10 selling games in August:
1. Madden NFL 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
2. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. The Last of Us (PS4, PS3)
5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC, Wii U)
6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, 3DS, DS, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
7. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One)
8. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
9. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
10. The Lego Movie Videogame (360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Vita)