AI2 is looking for a talented product designer to join a collaborative team of engineers and product managers working to build the future of academic search.
Why this role is important
As the first product designer on the Semantic Scholar team, you will define and own the design for projects ranging from search engine features to research prototypes. You will work with our user researcher and product managers to define smart solutions to user problems that help us meet our project goals. You’ll identify, define and validate new ideas and work closely with the engineering team to bring those ideas to life.
This is a high-impact role where you will have the opportunity to define processes and drive design thinking on the team and in the organization.
- You care deeply about user experience and creating simple, smart interfaces.
- You enjoy working collaboratively with engineers and product managers to define the best solutions to user problems.
- You understand the value of style guides and are an advocate for modular design.
- You are passionate about understanding and incorporating user need and business requirements into your design process.
- You’re comfortable testing your ideas and iterating quickly.
- You’re organized, self-starting and like finding ways to work more efficiently.
- You stay up to date on design and UX trends.
What you bring to AI2
- Proven track record of designing and shipping usable, beautiful products.
- Solid understanding of how web interfaces are built. You should be up to date with what’s accomplishable with browsers, understand concepts like progressive enhancement, and be able to talk tech with our team.
- Proficiency with Sketch, Photoshop, Invision, etc. – we’re not picky about the tools.
- Experience creating detailed, high-quality deliverables for engineering and user testing.
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
About The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2)
In addition to AI2’s core mission of being a leader in the field of AI research, we also aim to create a superb team environment and to invest in each team member’s personal development. Some highlights are:
• We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning right alongside us;
• We value diversity of thought – we seek Research Scientists who can bring novel experiences and modes of problem solving to our leading-edge mission. If you are creative and efficient in your approach and insightful in your questioning, AI2 could be a great environment for you;
• We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave;
• We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures;
• We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, we have the defending Super Bowl champions, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door;
• We are friendly – chances are you will like every one of the 50+ (and growing!) people who work here. We do!