Who we’re looking for:
Having just acquired our biggest competitor and expanded internationally, Rover now has more data in its systems than ever before. This exciting growth has created a lot of interesting new challenges, the types of requests we are getting to our Data Engineering Team have become more complex, and our rapidly growing data volume will require us to look into alternative solutions in the near future.
As our data systems expand so must our Data Engineering Team. We are looking to grow the team that builds and operates the data infrastructure that:
1. Rover’s data scientists and analysts use when building machine learning algorithms,
2. powers Rover’s reporting, analytics and experimentation systems, and
3. backs our the production systems for the Rover.com web site and mobile apps
This role is not a traditional BI role – these systems are a key piece of our production systems.
The ideal candidate for this role will succeed if she/he can further our culture of data self-service by providing leadership, guidance, tooling, and education around our infrastructure, business, and data. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, has excellent communication skills, and a knack for problem solving. They also live Rover’s values and fit into our unique and fun culture (woof!).
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the nation’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
We’re headquartered in downtown Seattle. We’re an agile, fast-growing startup, and our leadership comes from some of the country’s most respected tech companies. We’ve been named among Seattle’s “Best Places to Work” in Seattle Met magazine, Seattle Business Magazine, and the Puget Sound Business Journal.” We’re also a recipient of Seattle Business Magazine’s 2015 Tech Impact Awards. Needless to say (but we’re going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn’t dream of going to work without them by our sides.
- Understand our business domain as it relates to our data needs and guide our infrastructure towards supporting those needs
- Understand the varying data needs of our organization
- Provide technical and organizational leadership to a growing team
- Educate data consumers in our organization as to what data sources are available
- Monitor, maintain, and improve the data pipeline
- Own the architecture and design of the overall system
- Work as an engineer implementing the system
- 7+ years experience working with production data systems / software engineering
- Strong python skills in both data and engineering contexts
- Strong SQL Skills
- Redshift experience
- Python workflow tooling – Luigi/Airflow/etc.
- Cloud infrastructure management
- Hadoop or similar map-reduce technology
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience developing systems from idea to implementation
- Experience with an agile software development process
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off (you can also earn a 5th week by Dog Sitting through the platform!)
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting or fostering a dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches twice a month
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
This position is based at Rover HQ in Downtown Seattle. Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.