At Panopto, we believe that video can have a transformative effect on learning. So we built a video platform that helps businesses and universities improve the way that they train, teach, and share knowledge. We’ve been a pioneer in video capture software, video content management systems, and inside-video search technology. We’ve been recognized by Deloitte as one of the fastest growing technology companies in North America, and by Gartner as a Leader in video content management. If you are interested in working with other down-to-earth, smart people who love to roll up their sleeves and get stuff done in the face of big, exciting challenges, then we want to talk.
About the role
As our Engineering Manager of Core Product UX, you will own development of Panopto’s user experience. You will lead the efforts to architect, spec, and develop Panopto’s UX across mobile, web, and client software. You will be as deeply involved in developing features as you are in the process of determining what to build and how it should function. Your team’s work will light up new functionality and improve usability for millions of students, instructors, and knowledge workers. In the role, you:
- Function as the development manager for the team of UX developers as both ‘player’ and ‘coach’, actively coding in addition to conducting in-depth technical reviews of your team’s work.
- Drive your team’s vision and long term plans – set direction, hold work to a high standard, and participate directly in the specification of new UX to focus on the most important customer problems and most promising business opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with your product management counterpart and with leaders inside and outside the engineering team to collect and analyze product feedback and communicate decisions about feature design and prioritization.
- On the technical side, you and your team will conceive and build truly innovative new capabilities around video that don’t exist in any other product today, and will solve hard technical problems that–to our knowledge–have never been attempted. This work will be extremely challenging and at least as rewarding when you and your team are successful.
About your experience
You come from a development (coding) background with years of experience as a people manager. You have a strong track record designing, building, and shipping customer-facing software features and UX.
- Your work is adored by your customers and you derive huge personal satisfaction in making their lives simpler and improving their productivity.
- You thrive and take ownership in an environment with ambiguity – asking the right questions to bring order out of chaos and spread that order to your peers.
- You aren’t afraid to think big when establishing vision, but you know how to develop a plan in steps that deliver incremental value.
- You are highly motivated to move quickly, but you insist on high standards and delivering great results. You are thoughtfully self-critical of your work and your team’s work, always looking for ways to improve.
- You can clearly and concisely communicate complex, nuanced ideas to a variety of audiences: engineers, non-technical employees, customers, and partners.
About your qualifications
- You have a background as a systems developer, having built, shipped, and maintained complex architectures of components that communicate asynchronously and with fault tolerance.
- You have built complex server side or rich client-side web tech and have a working knowledge of building for mobile (either native apps or responsive web pages).
- You have expertise in web APIs (REST or SOAP) and scalable web services infrastructure.
- You have a deep understanding of asynchronous, client-server architecture, service scalability, fault tolerance, error handling, and log-based diagnostics.
- You have a strong working knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and coding patterns for high performance software.
- You have a 4-year degree in computer science and a decade of industry experience.
- Bonus points for experience working with streaming video, cloud authentication systems, audio/video capture and editing software or AWS cloud infrastructure.
We expect a lot and so should you
- As a growing company with a lot of exciting challenges ahead of us, we provide ample opportunity to learn and stretch your capabilities.
- We reward for the work you do with a market-competitive total compensation philosophy
- We’re in it together and back that up with our employee stock option plan.
- You will be eligible for fully-paid health, dental, vision and other benefits.
- Our paid time-off includes that tricky week during December holidays.
- It’s not just us saying it, we have received awards for our work environment. Join us for free snacks, company parties, costume contests and pet an occasional furry guest.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com