Internet speed matters to you. Your interest in computers, data management, system architecture runs deep in your roots, and you use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance on a daily basis.
With an ever-growing user base and product stack, we are looking for a highly capable Systems Engineer who is excited by the idea of designing, implementing, and maintaining distributed systems. You will be responsible for working with our team to develop and maintain the tools, architectures, and technologies to power and monitor our entire stack. Our Engineering team takes pride in ensuring that everyone at Ookla has the tools to optimize their workflow; as part of your duties, you will assist with managing our agile internal IT architecture.
- Maintain a distributed, global ecosystem of hundreds of cloud, virtual, and physical servers running Linux, BSD and others, supporting billions of requests daily
- Support production systems in a 24x7x365 environment, including on-call responsibilities
- Evaluate and implement internal tools and systems to help our team succeed
- Provide technology support to Ookla’s staff including managing cloud and on-premise tools, managing hardware, provisioning accounts
- 3+ Years Linux / UNIX systems administration
- Experience building large-scale distributed systems
- A solid understanding of security best practices
- Experience with SQL – ability to write queries and analyze their bottlenecks
- Configuration management and/or container based architectures
- Experience with AWS and other Cloud infrastructure platforms
- IT support experience including OSX, Linux, and Windows systems support, network administration, VPNs, security management, etc
- Comfortable learning and working with new technologies in an ever-changing environment
- Strong communication skills both in person and via virtual mediums
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic
Ookla is a small team of passionate individuals who have turned a clever idea into a thriving business, and have gained invaluable insight into the state of the Internet on a truly global scale. Every day, millions of people use our services to check their broadband and mobile data performance. This generates an incredible amount of data that ISPs, Mobile Carriers, and Governments rely on to make business critical decisions. If you are looking to join a small, nimble company, with global reach that is recognized as the industry benchmark worldwide, then Ookla might be the company for you.