We believe that phone calls should be secure, engaging, void of fraud and robocalls. We believe the phone app is the most outdated app on your smartphone, that the phone network is the largest social network in the world and it lacks a trust and engagement layer. You should know who’s calling you and why! You should get the calls that are relevant to you (at that time) and none of the ones that aren’t. Hiya is building the modern layer for the phone call experience. We already serve nearly 100M users worldwide directly through our apps and in partnership with mobile device makers like Samsung and mobile carriers like AT&T. Are you ready to lead an engineering team on the road to help us serve 1B users?
We are hiring a Director of Engineering to shape and manage our mobile and cloud teams. You’ll have four engineering teams and growing your team from about 20 people to 40 people in the next twelve months. You’ll report directly to the CTO and you’ll work closely with executives and product managers on strategic matters representing the engineering perspective.
On the management front, you’ll:
- Mentor, develop and guide your engineering managers and engineers so they can do their best work.
- Participate in all steps of the recruiting process to build your team.
- Lead with compassion and make the tough calls when needed.
- Listen to all stakeholders and build consensus to the best of your ability, without creating a committee-driven culture.
- Provide (and seek) feedback to your team, peers, and executives so we can all do better.
- Be pragmatic, accept and own your failures, and learn quickly.
As a manager of engineers and a technology leader, you’ll:
- Participate in engineering design and architecture decisions.
- Be a key contributor to strategic and tactical roadmap planning and product definition.
- Be as close as possible to code to be an effective bridge between your teams and PMs and executives (this is not a hands-on role).
- Be on top of the latest and greatest technologies, tools, methodologies, and frameworks for software engineering and engineering management.
- Be directly involved in partnerships and customers conversations.
You don’t have to check all the boxes, but we think these are important requirements for this role:
- You have been a hands-on software engineer (with a CS or equivalent) for more than 10 years.
- You have managed a team of 10 or more engineers, and either managed, coached or you were known as the go-to person for other engineering managers.
- You have worked at a startup (< 500 employees) in the last 5 years or you believe you’ll excel in a startup environment (high ambiguity, high urgency, fast-paced, low support structure).
- You believe that technology exists to make the world a better place and you are passionate at managing and leading people to achieve their full potential.
- You have developed or managed teams who developed software for Android, iOS, and the cloud (preferably AWS).
- You’ve built SaaS and/or consumer services before.
- Your desire and career path point to a VP of Engineering.
You’ll be an important member of our team to help us serve 1B consumers and you’ll have the exposure and experience to accelerate your career growth while making phone calls better for everyone.
Hiya is committed to diversity and inclusion and we desire to build a team with a variety of perspectives, identity, and professional experiences. It’s our intention to evaluate each candidate exclusively in the merits of their skills, competencies, and contribution to the organization.
This position is based in Seattle in our beautiful waterfront office, right next to Pike Place Market (it doesn’t get more iconic than this).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org