GeekWire is looking to add a multi-faceted member to our growing business team, a strong project manager who loves the nitty-gritty details of high-quality events.
As Director of Event Operations at GeekWire, the ideal candidate will serve as the nerve center of GeekWire’s largest and most important revenue source: community-oriented events.
This new role at GeekWire will work closely with our business and events team to make sure that small and big events — ranging from 15-person VIP dinners to 1,000-person conferences — are executed with precision, smarts and GeekWire’s very own unique touch.
The person who excels in the role will not only get a thrill bringing new audiences and sponsors to the GeekWire universe, but loves the excitement and energy of a well-executed event. This position will report to GeekWire’s sales and marketing chief, also working directly with GeekWire’s co-founders.
We’re looking for a “Swiss Army Knife” approach, meaning the person who succeeds in this role will have the ability to perform multiple functions in a scrappy organization and can quickly problem-solve when issues arise.
Who you are
We are looking for a tactical and strategic operations leader, someone who can help create impactful event experiences that enrich, inform and entertain our community. At the same time, we are looking for a well-connected impresario who can produce the highest quality events, while maintaining expense control. The tactical nature of this position requires extreme attention to detail and the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once, often in the pressure-filled and ever-changing world of events. Among the tasks associated with event operations: Project management; speaker communication; sponsor activation; registration and ticketing management; surveying and marketing support. We love hosting world-class events at GeekWire, and we’re looking for an operations leader who will sit in the middle of our fast-moving events schedule, bringing order and sound judgment to a cohesive team. Experience in planning, organizing and operating VIP-style events, large conferences and fun parties is required.
Who we are
GeekWire is a fast-paced media company and the professional who joins our team exemplifies our core values (see below). We are on a mission to provide the best coverage and content for our loyal audience while building the community through impactful and energizing events. While you are focused on achieving your individual goals, you recognize the importance of being a part of this collaborative team and contributing to creative, smart ways for our growth.
- Coordinate all aspects of GeekWire’s events in conjunction with leadership, the business team and serve as the bridge with the events team.
- Contribute to the collective knowledge of the sales and events team with regular reports, industry insights and introduce new tools to adapt to business needs.
- Deliver successful event sponsorships as needed, serving in a project management role that oversees proper execution of event activations.
- Work on logos, surveys, email marketing campaigns, registration, ticketing, speaker coordination, event website implementation, slide decks, A-V coordination, script writing, event site visits — all supported by our events team.
- Assist in the coordination of event logistics, including catering, venue layout, speaker management, VIP experiences, registration.
- Coordination and communication lead for sponsored activations including GeekWire Studios, podcasts, and select event sponsorships.
- Help deliver clear and compelling marketing strategies that boost attendance at our events, drive buzz or enhance the attendee experience.
- Working in partnership with the GeekWire team, you’ll help drive new event activations that bolster revenue, creatively implementing ideas around on-location podcasts, new conferences and other VIP events.
- Prepare post-event analysis including bill approval, spreadsheet summary of expenses, RSVP’s, attendance list, and no-shows.
- Help manage vendors.
- Evangelize GeekWire in the community, serving as a brand ambassador with clear and concise communication about our value proposition.
- Communicate with your manager your action plan to achieve your goals.
- Attend weekly business and event meetings.
Over time, we anticipate the role bringing maximum efficiency to GeekWire’s operations and boosting revenue and profits.
Benefits for you?
- This is a full-time event operations position with unlimited potential.
- We don’t expect you to wear a suit, just a confident attitude.
- Comfortable shoes recommended to explore the area around our office in Fremont.
- We are a small team that encourages each other and celebrates individual contributions.
- We offer flexibility in when/where you work as long as you deliver results.
- Did we mention we’re dog-friendly?
To apply, please submit your resume and a brief note on why you would geek out for this position to: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
GeekWire is a fast-growing, national technology news site with strong roots in the Seattle region and a large audience of loyal, tech-savvy readers around the globe, who follow the site for breaking news, expert analysis and unique insights into the technology industry.