Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major markets.
We are our target market. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the next best recruitment platform for companies like us. By working at Built In, you’ll have the chance to work directly with the latest and fastest-growing technology companies all around the country.
We help other companies solve their biggest pain points — awareness and talent — with our employer branding and recruitment solutions. We currently operate in six communities: Chicago, Los Angeles, Austin, New York City, Boston, Colorado, and we need your help and expertise to bring Seattle into the mix!
As a staff writer, you will be joining our creative team, which is composed of writers, editors, designers, strategists and UX experts collaborating each day to develop high-quality content in support of the local tech and startup community. We are looking for someone who is a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy writer with a fresh voice and style. The role is based in Seattle but will collaborate daily with our teams in Chicago and across the country to help grow Built In Seattle from the ground up.
Content Creation + Curation
Pitch and write at least 8-10 tech-focused stories per week. Built In covers: breaking news stories (startup fundings, exits, etc.), profiles on startups and entrepreneurs, evergreen employer branded content such as leadership or team spotlights, and data-driven stories on market trends. A story is not a story unless it has interviews with relevant companies/entrepreneurs and supporting stats. Most of our stories are between 500 to 800 words, but some of our in-depth pieces can run longer.
Deadlines + Organization
Ideate and produce error-free articles multiple times each day, five days per week. Bonus points for the organized and process-driven among us.
You will be responsible for collaborating with the Built In creative team to: sift through the latest tech news and reports each day; conduct in-depth research for both quick turnaround and long-form features; identify content relevant to Built In’s hyper-local audiences; produce original content through analysis or synthesis of existing stories; find and articulate underlying stories in Built In’s own data reports and in other published tech reports; and occasionally attend tech and startup events to source the untold stories.
As Built In Seattle’s first writer, you’ll also learn how to navigate the local tech scene and network with the right people. You’ll act as a brand ambassador, helping the Seattle team introduce new companies and users to our site and being a local representative of our brand.
- You should be enthusiastic about startups and tech companies.
- You should be an experienced writer, capable of producing both breaking news articles, as well as paid content designed to drive conversions or support company brands.
- You should be a digital native, capable of managing social media channels to drive organic growth and support the tech community.
Previous experience writing for a tech publication preferred.
What We Value
Flexible personality — You should thrive on change while remaining organized, optimistic and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help, too.
Communication — You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. Your ability to present complex messages and professionally interact with multiple levels of an organization is paramount.
Interest in the tech industry — You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do.
Willingness to work around the clock, sort of — This job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to email outside of traditional work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but a combination of life and work.
Culture fit — You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
Education — While a degree in journalism, English or creative writing is preferred, we value intelligence, personality and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits.
- We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don’t care. We focus on the quality of your work and your collegiality more than on your apparel.
- Free food! Yes, you read that correctly. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday through Thursday). We eat lunch together most days, which means you’ll quickly feel like part of the team.
- Fun work environment — we operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets, take turns DJing and find time to celebrate our wins as a company.
- We offer unlimited vacation and sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
- Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.