Avvo is changing what it means for consumers to find professional legal help. Every year millions of people seek professional legal assistance. Millions more need legal help but do not find it because they don’t understand the nature of their problem or think that legal help is too expensive. Avvo has profiles for nearly all 1.3 million US registered lawyers on our platform, and one of the largest repositories of free legal knowledge on the internet. Our mission is to ensure people get the legal help they need.
We are seeking a passionate and experienced technical leader to help take our existing dynamic engineering team to the next level.
Your primary responsibility will be to provide high-level guidance, support, and development for the individuals and managers that report to you. You will provide technical and cultural leadership for a large, diverse and growing team. You will have a good understanding of collaborative problem-solving from an execution level as well as strategy development. You will inspire innovation in our product and in how we work together. You will bring a real passion for cross-functional teamwork, strategy, and big picture insights to our multifaceted problems. We thrive on ambiguity and enjoy the frequent pivoting that’s part of the exploration and hope you will too.
The Director of Engineering, Product Development will lead the functions’ engagement with business partners and executives and will contribute to larger company-wide strategic discussions and take a leading role in organization design and improvement initiatives. You will grow our business working with your leadership peers in other functions while ensuring that we deliver on our goal of liberty and justice for all.
This role is a leadership opportunity for an experienced individual who has a demonstrated track record of success in leading development teams. You have a strong business sense, are metrics driven, organized and have experience working with various business functions to develop and execute programs that deliver results. This role reports to Avvo’s Chief Technology Officer.
- Work cohesively with peers leading Product, UX, Data Engineering, Infrastructure, and Test functions to build collaborative agile teams.
- Define and execute company-wide technology strategies
- Craft a compelling, long term vision for your team, set goals to achieve the vision and ensure achievement of immediate term goals through collaboration and high standards
- Track industry innovations to identify technologies and techniques that will improve Avvo’s architecture and technologies
- Be able to exchange ideas, prioritize projects, allocate resources, ask questions
- Lead the continued growth and innovation of our technology organization
- Champion a test-and-learn lean culture and drive long-term business value creation through development of best-in-class platform capabilities
- Manage a pipeline of projects/products and their on-time delivery working across multiple cross-functional teams
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- BS or BA in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or related degree. Relevant work experience will supersede degree.
- 5+ years in a management role working hands-on as well as strategic overview, and team building
- Experience leading development teams building web or connected multi-platform products
- Knowledge and expertise with different web technologies
- Impeccable communication, organization, problem-solving, and stakeholder management
- Experience leading teams, coaching managers and developing people
- Strong Agile thinking and leadership skills
- Understanding of Lean techniques using test-and-learn methodologies to deliver value to customers quickly and validate product vision
About Avvo, Inc.
Avvo is a dog-friendly office! In addition to our awesome culture, we offer an AMAZING benefit package (we pay 100% of our employee premium costs and 50% of their dependents - plus 100% of your medical deductible), free legal advice, an ORCA card, up to three weeks of vacation your first year - and more!
Avvo is centrally located in downtown Seattle just a few blocks away from the Westlake Center. We are a key member of Seattle's tech community and are backed by top venture capital firms, including Benchmark Capital, TCV, and others.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.