Avvo is changing what it means for consumers to find professional legal help. Every year millions of people seek professional legal assistance. Millions more need legal help but do not find it because they don’t understand the nature of their problem or think that legal help is too expensive. Avvo has profiles for nearly all 1.3 million US registered lawyers on our platform, and one of the largest repositories of free legal knowledge on the internet. Our mission is to ensure people get the legal help they need.
We are looking for a passionate technical leader to help take our existing active Data Science and Data Engineering team to the next level.
You are an innovative and successful leader who is familiar with building data systems to support data scientists, data engineers, and data analysts. In this role, you will lead diverse, talented engineers and scientists to build data-based features and provide business guidance to the company. Your primary responsibility will be to provide high-level mentorship, support and development for the individuals and managers that report to you. You will have a good understanding of partner management and problem-solving from an execution level as well as strategy development. You will bring a real passion for multi-functional teamwork, strategy, and big picture insights to our multifaceted problems. We thrive on ambiguity and enjoy the frequent pivoting that’s part of the exploration and hope you will too.
This role is a leadership opportunity for an experienced individual who has a demonstrated track record of success in leading Data Engineering and Data Science. You have a strong business sense, are metrics driven, organized and have experience working with various business functions to develop and execute programs that deliver results. This role reports to Avvo’s Chief Technology Officer.
- Work cohesively with Agile Engineering and Product teams
- Define and execute company-wide data strategies
- Craft a compelling, long term vision for the team, set goals to achieve the vision and ensure achievement of immediate term goals through cross-functional collaboration and high standards
- Represent the Data Engineering team to various clients with myriad data and analytics needs
- Lead and perform research in areas that have the greatest impact on the company
- Be able to exchange ideas, prioritize projects, allocate resources, ask questions
- Lead the continued growth and innovation of our Data Science team’s ability to work with and communicate clearly to non-data scientists
- Champion a data-first culture and drive long-term business value creation through development of best-in-class data science capabilities
- Manage a pipeline of projects/products and their on-time delivery working across multiple multi-functional teams
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
Desired skills and experience
- MS, MBA, or Ph.D. preferred in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Computer Science, Physics or related degree. Relevant work experience will supersede degree.
- 5+ years in a management role working hands on as well as strategic overview, and team building
- Expertise knowledge in SQL, R, Python, Kafka, Spark, and NLP
- Experience contributing hands-on to products within the Spark/Hadoop ecosystem
- Impeccable communication, organization, problem-solving, and partner management
- Experience leading teams, coaching managers and developing people
About Avvo, Inc.
Avvo is a dog-friendly office! In addition to our awesome culture, we offer an AMAZING benefit package (we pay 100% of our employee premium costs and 50% of their dependents - plus 100% of your medical deductible), free legal advice, an ORCA card, up to three weeks of vacation your first year - and more!
Avvo is centrally located in downtown Seattle just a few blocks away from the Westlake Center. We are a key member of Seattle's tech community and are backed by top venture capital firms, including Benchmark Capital, TCV, and others.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.