Meetups, conferences, startup events, and geeky gatherings in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Browse for local tech events, or search by date or keyword. Submit your event below for consideration for the GeekWire Calendar. Look for highlights from the GeekWire Calendar each week on GeekWire, and check out GeekWire's own unique series of signature tech events in the Seattle region.
- This event has passed.
Seattle’s Tipping Point: An Economy on the Verge
April 19 @ 10:30 am - 12:00 pmFree
Once thought of as a provincial backwater in terms of entrepreneurial activity, Seattle is in the midst of rapid historic growth, both in terms of population and pace of innovation. In fact, Seattle was recently described as a “suburb of Silicon Valley” when it comes to venture-backed companies. But what is driving this growth?
Understanding Seattle’s social and economic history is key to anticipating and investing in our future. Our distinguished panel will explore these themes and questions, including:
- What are the key historical factors that laid the foundation for Seattle’s rapid growth in tech and life sciences innovation?
- How has Seattle’s talent pool evolved over the years and what characteristics define our workforce now and in the near future?
- Which sectors and technologies have played the biggest role in our growth, and which ones will rise to the top in the future?
- What elements is Seattle lacking if we are to become a Top 3 market for venture-backed companies?
- Teague Collins – Cascadia Capital (tentative)
- Craig Philips – CEO Kv1.3 Therapeutics
- John Cook – Editor in Chief of Geekwire
- Rebecca Lovell – Director of the Office of Economic Development, City of Seattle