Meetups, conferences, startup events, and geeky gatherings in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Browse for local tech events, or search by date or keyword. Submit your event below for consideration for the GeekWire Calendar. Look for highlights from the GeekWire Calendar each week on GeekWire, and check out GeekWire's own unique series of signature tech events in the Seattle region.
- This event has passed.
Meet This Billionaire Space Tourist Who created Microsoft Word and Excel
February 26 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Charles Simonyi is a legendary space tourist, entrepreneur, programmer and philanthropist. Among his many feats:
• Joined Microsoft in 1980 and was the original programmer of Word and Excel, having first developed Bravo, the first WSYWIG text editor at Xerox Parc.
• The fifth ever space tourist and the only one to have taken two trips to the International Space Station (In 2007 and 2009). He paid $55 million for both trips.
• Founder of Intentional Software Corporation which was sold to Microsoft in 2017
• Inventor of ‘Hungarian Notation’ naming convention used in software development
• Learned how to program in high school by serving as the night watchman of a Russian mainframe computer in his native Hungary!
• Philanthropist: Funded the Vera C. Rubin observatory and the Simonyi Telescope to the tune of $100 million. Also funded a professorship on the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford, first held by Richard Dawkins ( of The God Delusion and The Selfish Gene fame)
The talk will broadly cover three topics: Entrepreneurship and his company Intentional Software, his work at Microsoft, and Space Tourism. There will also be plenty of time for audience Q&A.
Join us for what is sure to be an exciting night!