Meetups, conferences, startup events, and geeky gatherings in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Browse for local tech events, or search by date or keyword. Submit your event below for consideration for the GeekWire Calendar. Look for highlights from the GeekWire Calendar each week on GeekWire, and check out GeekWire's own unique series of signature tech events in the Seattle region.
- This event has passed.
Hack the Now and Next: Education of the Future
February 22 @ 7:00 pm - February 23 @ 9:00 pm$10
Innovation in education is nothing new. It’s not unique to the last 500 years, or even the last millennium. After all, we long ago replaced the abacus with the calculator, and we no longer rely on the printing press for the dissemination of information.
But there is something undeniably new about innovation in education now. Modern technology has prompted sweeping changes in education at a faster pace and with a further reach than ever before. Laptops and tablets are regular fixtures in many classrooms, and online degree programs make education accessible to students from all walks of life, all over the world.
Join us as we Hack the Future of Education and discover how technology will further reshape the way children, teens, and adults learn about the world around them. Discover how developments like voice, AI, ML, and AR/VR will forever change the way we learn and teach information. Spend the weekend creating alongside fellow innovators, and build something cool that will reach millions of students. Globant employees will be there to guide you along the way.
What do you envision for the future of education?
Come prepared with a creative idea (or invent one on the spot!) about what the future of education may look like. Consider the infrastructure and logistical support needed to bring your idea to life.
During the hackathon, you’ll flesh out a scenario which demonstrates why your idea will change the way we learn and teach. This scenario can be a technological solution, such as an app or a website, or it can be a well-constructed plan that carefully tackles hurdles in the learning process in a creative way.
We expect that:
- Your idea will improve some aspect of the education experience, whether that be for teachers, students, or institutions
- You can demo your idea using either technology that you’ve built, such as a mobile app or voice skill, or another method of presentation, such as a slide deck
- Your idea is unique and innovative, and uses technology to solve a real problem
- Your team is comprised of no more than five people (feel free to come without a team, and we’ll connect you with others!)
At the conclusion of the hackathon on Saturday, February 23 you and your team will have five minutes to present your idea to the judges. We ask that you pretend you’re pitching your “startup” to a panel of venture capitalists; make every minute count! Your idea will be judged on the following criteria:
- Relevance: Your idea is relevant to media producers, distributors, or consumers
- Innovation: Your idea is original and pushes aside traditional industry paradigms
- Feasibility: Your idea is practical and operable—not “magic”—and makes sense within known parameters
- Presentation: Your presentation is clear, enjoyable, and professional
Friday, February 22 | The Kick-Off
Food and beverages will be provided.
7-7:30pm: Registration//Pizza and drinks
7:30-8pm: Welcome//Rules, restraints, and FAQs
8-10pm: Pitch ideas, assemble teams, and get started!
Saturday, February 23 | The Hackathon
Food and beverages will be provided.
8am: Welcome back
7:00pm: Judges convene
7:30pm: Winners announced//prizes