Meetups, conferences, startup events, and geeky gatherings in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Browse for local tech events, or search by date or keyword. Submit your event below for consideration for the GeekWire Calendar. Look for highlights from the GeekWire Calendar each week on GeekWire, and check out GeekWire's own unique series of signature tech events in the Seattle region.
- This event has passed.
DigITal Archaeology Day
February 17 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm$16,
Experience the world of Digital Archeology with the technologies and tools that archaeologists use to uncover pieces of the past! We’ll take you on a journey from ancient worlds rendered in VR, to airplanes uncovered from ocean depths, to the recent discovery of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, and so much more! Then, get to work applying your new knowledge by trying our archaeology-themed activities in the labs: GIS Mapping & 3D Modeling. We’ll close out the afternoon with a screening of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (PG-13) around 2:00pm.
– David Reams, Director of SubSea Operations at Vulcan, Inc., discussing the Petrel team’s recent discovery of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and what it means to do underwater surveys with ROV’s and AUV’s.
– Lithodomos VR (via BEAM robot) with a remote presentation on how they construct their VR experiences using archaeological records.
– Megan Lickliter-Mundon of Texas A&M University, a friend of Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum, describing the experience of finding historical planes underwater.
– GIS Mapping Activity exploring the geographic information system (GIS) software used in mapping, photogrammetry & infographics.
– 3D Modelling Activity showing one of the tools used by modern archaeologists to reconstruct artifacts.
– Self-Guided Treasure Hunt that explores our collection of computers and retro games.
Admission $16 | Free for Members