Women in Cloud: If you’re like most women who work in the tech industry, you’ve probably experienced a hurdle or two over the course of your career. The Women in Cloud Annual Summit looks to address some of these challenges in the cloud community by bringing together experts from women-led cloud companies, others in the field and those who want to help women succeed. The Summit takes place on the Microsoft main campus on Saturday, Jan. 26 for the entire day.
Power [UP]: If you’re a woman who wants even more support in your tech career, the University of Washington Foster School of Business is hosting Power [UP] with Women in Tech, which will feature speakers from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Alaska Airlines, Lulemon and more. That event takes place at The Riveter in Capitol Hill on Thursday, Jan. 31 from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
The Most Unknown: Most of us have some big questions cross our minds every now and then. What is life? Why are we here? How much do we really know about the universe? The Pacific Science Center will be tackling these questions with a special screening of the documentary, The Most Unknown at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 22. Before the movie gets underway, an ecologist from the University of Washington’s Alaska Salmon Program will talk about field research on salmon and grizzly bears and how it can provide an example of how life is changing.
Here are some more highlights from the GeekWire Community Calendar:
- One Redmond Economic Outlook Event: A talk by local economist Chris Mefford about what might lie ahead in 2019 at the Seattle Marriot in Redmond; 8 to 10 a.m. Thursday, January 24.
- Investment Outlook Panel 2019: A panel discussing trends in technology and the landscape for Seattle Startups at Madrona Venture Labs in Seattle; 15to 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24
- Less Machine, More Learning: What You Need to Know Now about AI: A conference about AI and how it is and should be accelerating within companies at the University of Washington Husky Stadium Don James Center in Seattle; 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Jan 25.
- Angel Investing: How to Get Started: A talk from two experienced angel investors at K & L Gates in Seattle; 12 to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 29.
- Startup Grind with Jeana Jorgensen: A talk from a Microsoft veteran that will give the details on how to help startups from Microsoft’s perspective at Create 33 in Seattle; 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 29.
- Founders Live Seattle: A competition where five startups get to pitch their companies in 99 seconds at The Collective in Seattle; 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31.