WeWork this month opened its fifth location in the Seattle area, with a lot more on the way.
WeWork will open three more Seattle locations this year and another next year, the company said, bringing it to nine offices in Seattle and Bellevue. A WeWork spokesperson told GeekWire that this growth will double the company’s footprint in the Seattle area.
WeWork’s Seattle presence will grow even further when a 36-story tower in Seattle’s Belltown neighborhood encompassing both WeWork co-working office space and the company’s WeLive residential concept opens. WeWork representatives declined to share further details about the WeLive project in Seattle.
WeWork’s Seattle growth mirrors its overall global expansion. It plans to open 1 million square feet of co-working space each month, according to TechCrunch.
Here is a snapshot of the new locations:
- 1099 Stewart, also known as Hill7, is home to Redfin’s headquarters and Seattle’s HBO office. WeWork opened a two-story office there this month, with 1,000 desks.
- Avalara is the top tenant at a building called Hawk Tower near CenturyLink Field in Seattle, but WeWork is set to establish a significant presence there as well. It has leased five floors in the building, with room for 1,000 desks and a projected September opening.
- At 1411 4th Ave. in downtown Seattle, WeWork will open 11 floors of co-working space with room for 1,700 desks in June.
- At the 40-story 4th and Madison tower, WeWork will occupy three floors of space starting in April. That space will have 1,200 desks.
- Next year, WeWork is opening a location in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood, north of downtown. The project at the future 15th & Market building will occupy two floors and total 1,500 desks.
These new locations join WeWork’s four other offices at Westlake Tower, 500 Yale Ave. N., the Holyoke Building and the Lincoln Square Expansion project in downtown Bellevue, Wash.
WeWork has in Seattle filled out buildings new and old, taking a couple of floors in a variety of locations and neighborhoods. It has used the same playbook in other big cities around the world, and WeWork has become one of the biggest office tenants in places like London and New York.
WeWork has raised $6.9 billion over its seven years of existence, including a $4.4 billion round in August. It is reportedly valued at more than $20 billion.
While its co-working platform has expanded across the globe, WeWork has been adding additional services over the years. WeLive provides furnished apartments, with flexible leases and amenities like chef kitchens and high speed internet, typically in the same buildings as WeWork offices.
WeWork has also gotten into managing office space for larger companies. WeWork has reportedly been developing a new product called Powered by We, which helps clients with office space searches, construction, interior design and more. Wired reported last year that WeWork offices for Amazon, Airbnb and IBM, and other enterprises could eventually farm out office building management to WeWork.