Amazon.com is out this morning with the list of its top 10 best-selling books of 2011, and the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson is at the top, despite having the disadvantage of being released toward the end of the year.
The list is based on unit sales of traditional print books and titles for Amazon’s Kindle electronic reader.
In a notable development for e-books, two of the top 10 titles come from the Kindle Direct Publishing program for indie authors and made the list based on their Kindle sales alone, Amazon says. They were “The Mill River Recluse” by Darcie Chan, at No. 4; and “The Abbey” by Chris Culver, at No. 9.
The biography of Jobs is the first authorized book on the Apple co-founder’s life. Published by Simon & Schuster, the book had been set for release next year, but was pushed up to November, and then to October after Jobs’ death.
Here’s the full list of top 10 best-selling books of 2011 from Amazon.com.
- “Steve Jobs” by Walter Isaacson
- “Bossypants” by Tina Fey
- “A Stolen Life” by Jaycee Dugard
- “The Mill River Recluse” by Darcie Chan
- “In the Garden of the Beasts” by Erik Larson
- “A Dance with Dragons” by George R.R. Martin
- “The Paris Wife” by Paula McLain
- “The Litigators” by John Grisham
- “The Abbey” by Chris Culver
- “Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle)” by Christopher Paolini