Photo: Zach Taylor

Commentary: A press release isn’t a partnership

Let’s get one thing clear: Supporting partners and clients via participation in case studies, white papers, events, press, and social media is just good business. But, what really matters, happens outside of the trade press and punditry spotlight. It’s the legwork conducted over countless emails, IM’s, calls and working lunches between the actual “doers” on… Read More

The GeekWire Mudders celebrate after the race. Members: Russell Benaroya, Mike Curry, Loren Curtis, Guenna Curtis, Kyle Davis, Rob Hanlon, Joe Heitzeberg, Mandy Lane, Joshua Lane, Adam Loving, Chris Lynch, Kevin Nakao, Charla Neuman, David Nui, Will O'Brien, Chrisann Rauschenbach, Carlos Rodriguez, Nora Schneyer, Matt Shobe, Bob Thordarson, Peter van Wesep, David Wickwire, Adrian Burton and David Aronchick.

Startup lessons from the ‘Tough Mudder’ race

A few months ago, Media Piston founder Joe Heitzeberg and I had the crazy idea to assemble a team to run in last Saturday’s Tough Mudder race, an 11+ mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces. It is billed as “probably the toughest event on the planet.”  You scale walls and ropes, slog around in pungent mud,… Read More

facebook-opengraph1

Facebook: The personalization engine for all of the Web

Facebook and its third-party applications today know a hell of a lot about each us: what content we read (Washington Post Social Reader); what music we listen to (Spotify); what movies we watch (Netflix). Facebook opened up a green field for the game creators, too: games with friends are just so much more engaging. However,… Read More

aldrin

No borders: Space heroes join together for epic night

They were all up on stage when the cosmonaut Valery Kubasov was introduced. With a lapel full of medals he strode across stage. As he walked past Buzz Aldrin, Jim Lovell, and almost every other living American space hero, the Soviet anthem blared out over the audience. Soyuz nyerushimyy respublik svobodnykh / Splotila naveki Velikaia Rus. I wasn’t… Read More

Microsoft_Forefront_Logoxx

Big shift for Microsoft’s Forefront security products: RIP ISA Server

Today Microsoft announced “Important Changes to Forefront Product Roadmaps.” Product roadmap update announcements often aren’t terribly interesting, but oftentimes the bland naming hides the full scope of what’s really happening. Today is no exception. Microsoft is making a rather dramatic change in its server security offerings, signaling a narrowing and shift in focus and bidding goodbye to nearly all… Read More

Businesspeople2-collaborate-to-28350953

Why your startup is half as effective as it should be

When I founded Ontela with my friends Charles and Brian, we were all sick of big companies.  There were a lot of things we wanted to do differently, but one of the big ones was to build a company that wasn’t a faceless bureaucracy.  (Hindsight: good goal) A company where everyone was impactful.  (Absolutely!) A company where… Read More

boilerroom1

Portland Digital eXperience: A few of my favorite things

Dude, seriously, you are beautiful. … You’re so sexy when you smile. These two phrases were emblazoned across the mirror of the women’s bathroom in a karaoke bar in Portland, and from my brief foray to the Rose City for the Portland Digital eXperience (PDX) conference, they embody the spirit of both the event and the… Read More

pandoras

Apple’s Siri turns one: Do iPhone users care?

One year ago today, Apple introduced Siri to the world. For some, Siri represented the future of how we might interact with our devices. But for a great many, reality has not exactly lived up to the hype (especially as advertised by Samuel L. Jackson and Zoey Deschanel).  According to a survey conducted by the… Read More

hulett-nextcast1

Matt Hulett’s startup advice: ‘Money makes you soft’

Matt Hulett, a self-described “late-bloomer” in the tech space, started out shrink-wrapping software in the 80s and is now leading RealNetworks’ GameHouse unit into the future of gaming. It’s no surprise he ended up here. Hulett, a former executive at Mpire and Atom Entertainment who returned to RealNetworks two years ago, has a history of rising… Read More

2012-07-10 08.21

From Seattle to Portland, BoltBus feels like a beta

I was only ten minutes into my BoltBus trip to Portland for the annual convention of the National Puzzlers’ League (the world’s oldest puzzling organization) when I was pretty sure I didn’t want to ride BoltBus again. I’m disappointed because I’d really been looking forward to the ride, hoping it would be a good way… Read More

Rand Fishkin

Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz on search, startups, sticking it out

Rand Fishkin is changing the way that Internet marketers do their jobs. He and his team at SEOmoz are part of a small sector of the tech space, where adaptation and growth are the name of the game. Though it hasn’t always been easy, this humble CEO has prioritized a startup culture that focuses on being here now, and… Read More

galaxys3small

Why this Apple fanboy loves his new Samsung Galaxy S III

Last year I wrote an article titled, “Why I own an Android Phone.” To summarize, the article described people’s fascination when they discovered that I (an iOS app developer and self-declared Apple fanboy) actually owned an Android phone. A year later I’ve decided to stay in the Android camp and have upgraded my Samsung Galaxy phone… Read More

higgs-2

It’s a particle! Higgs news draws giddy crowd to bar

You could call it a magnetic attraction that drew about 175 people to a midnight party thrown by the University of Washington’s Physics Department, Pacific Science Center and KCTS television to celebrate the discovery of a new particle. “This is once in a generation,” said Stephanie Fitzwater, who helped organize the event about the Higgs… Read More

cashs

3 keys to successful crowdfunding campaigns

There’s change in the air.  Entrepreneurs I talk to can smell it.  Especially those that are focused on consumer products.  The smell of money.  They whisper about it in hushed tones. Kickstarter. Money just waiting to be scooped up.  From consumers eager to buy the “next big thing.”  Before it’s even is a “thing” at… Read More