When ZocDoc announced $75 million in new funding last September, the 5-year-old company stated that it planned to use the cash infusion to expand rapidly into new regions. Now, the company, which has raised $95 million to date, including cash from Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, is bringing its doctor appointment scheduling service to Seattle.

It marks the 14th market for the company, which actually got its start when founder and CEO Cyrus Massoumi burst his eardrum on a flight from Seattle to New York in 2007. Upon landing, Massoumi — who previously worked at McKinsey and Trilogy Software — couldn’t find a doctor for four days.

“My painful experience made me realize that while technology has brought us instant access to books, flights and music, nothing is more important than medical care when you need it and no service existed that could deliver instant access to a doctor,” he said in a release.

A recent search for Seattle dentists

Doctors pay $250 per month to enroll in ZocDoc, allowing patients to book appointments at the last minute while also helping doctors fill open appointment slots.

Consumers can find dozens of doctors in the Web directory or via the ZocDoc’s mobile apps, searching by location and insurance plan. Physicians, obstetrician-gynecologists and dermatologists are offering more than 50,000 appointments across the Seattle area.

The company said that 40 percent of patients who use ZocDoc get an appointment within 24 hours, and 60 percent get an appointment within three days. Typically, patients on average wait three weeks for an appointment in most U.S. cities, according to research provided by the company.

In order to support the Seattle market, ZocDoc has established a sales office in the city with five employees.

Like what you're reading? Subscribe to GeekWire's free newsletters to catch every headline


  • http://twitter.com/spencerrascoff Spencer Rascoff

    Welcome to Seattle, ZocDoc. 

  • Guest

    Congratulations to ZocDoc on the launch! I’m very glad that there are still entrepreneurs working to modernise America’s dreadful health care experience.

  • Greg

     I’m trying to understand this.  I pay $250/month for a 40% chance of an appointment next day, 60% chance of an appointment in three days?  For $250/month, I’d expect this to be similar to concierge medicine, same day appointment, but it is not.  I don’t understand who would take this deal.  How is ZocDoc $250/month better than the doctor search engines already provided by insurers like Regence?  Can someone explain to me the value?  I’m not seeing it.

    • Matt

      Doctors pay, not patients.

      • Greg

        Thanks, Matt, my mistake, misread the article.  So, to be clear, the value over other doctor search engines is that the patient doesn’t have to call a few offices to see when the earliest they could be seen would be, that, at least for doctors that pay into the system, patients can see right away when the earliest appointment would be?

        • Guest


          • Greg

            But is it also true that paying doctors with open appointment slots (which, presumably, are the worst doctors, or at least the doctors least in demand) will be favored in the search results at ZocDoc?

          • Guest

            If a doctor refuses your request for an appointment, that doesn’t make him a superior practitioner. That just means he has poor time management.

          • Guest

            If we had a consumer driven medical experience in the US having open slots would mean that a, the Dr. charges too much and/or b, the care was poor.

            Unfortuneatly this isn’t what we have, hence, open slots. It is normal to have a few anyway, people cancel, etc. This sounds like a great idea. $95M though seems like a lot of money to do some scheduling.

          • Vindano Iglesias

            Check out the site and download the app, many of the doctors are the most in-demand and well respected doctors in their field.  Patient reviews help make sure the doctor is a good one, bad review mean they get no patients and discontinue the service.  There are also many doctors with Patients’ Choice Awards. I imagine there will be some doctors who are booked out for 3 months or whatever, and so wouldn’t need the service, but I wouldn’t see them anyway. When I get sick, then I’m sick now, not 3 months from now.  The advantage to the doctors is obviously to satisfy patient preferences (well maybe to screen for better insurance too!); when was the last time you called someone to book a hotel or a flight.  Online shopping has increased over 15% every year.  I’ll have to try it to see if I like it.

Job Listings on GeekWork