Christmas is traditionally a day for opening gifts, not buying more stuff, but that appears to be changing thanks to our increasingly mobile and connected world. New statistics from IBM’s retail tracking service provide clues about how we spent our Sunday on the couch. Here’s the rundown.
- Online sales grew by 16.4 percent over Christmas Day 2010
- Mobile Traffic: 18.3 percent of all online sessions on a retailer’s site were initiated from a mobile device, up from 8.4 percent on Christmas Day 2010—an increase of 117.8 percent
- Mobile Devices: iPad lead all mobile device traffic at 7.0 percent, followed by iPhone at 6.4 percent and Android at 5 percent
- Mobile Sales: Sales from mobile devices grew, reaching 14.4 percent versus 5.3 percent on Christmas Day 2010—an increase of 172.9 percent
IBM’s service doesn’t track Amazon, the largest online retailer, which is counting in part on big sales of the Kindle Fire to boost its retail sales from mobile devices.
- key specs
- reviews • 36
- Form factorTablet
- Operating systemiOS (7)
- Screen size9.7 inches
- Storage typeInternal storage (16 GB, Flash)
- Maximum battery lifeUp to 10 hours
- Dimensions9.45 x 6.67 x 0.3 in
- Weight1 lb